Butch and recruiting

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by justingroves, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

He had 14 catches and 0 TDs against UF, UGA, Miss St., and Bama this past year.

You can't measure potential but you can measure ineffectiveness in key games.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

He also had catches of 40+ yards in five games this season. Including UF and Bama.

3. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

touche'. But I also remember 2 very big drops in both games.

4. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Wide open ... in the end zone.

5. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I remember a huge drop by Hunter in the Alabama game. The biggest drop against Florida was by CP, but Hunter dropped at least two potential third-down conversion IIRC. Hence "big play ability but a case of the drops." He was frustrating this year, but we shouldn't assume he was worthless because he made some drops. With his talent, he could be a little off and still make lots of big plays.

6. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

He looked to be threatened by the emergence of CP IMO. I could see it on several occasions.

7. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Hopefully Christian Harris and that running back turned LB ("three stack") will pan out. Also will have Bynum in the mix. There's some material to work with.

8. VOLinDAWGland

He's definitely a lost cause at safety, but not sure about his prospects at Will position.

9. VOLinDAWGland

I agree with your point to a degree, however, Louisville as your example doesn't play UGA, USC, UF, AU and some pick of LSU, Ark, MSU, Ole Miss, etc. The SEC doesn't treat average to merely good very well.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Average gets you 5-7

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

So Jewbaccah or someone, how are things looking overall? Are we going to finish strong?

12. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Not an expert, but I think we finish with 24-25 commitents and at least a top 15 class.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not a catastrophe, but battlefield triage at best.

14. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Considering we had like 20 commitments and ranked below 50 when Dooley was here that's pretty good. Next years class is the one that will be a game changer for UT. Top 5 class fosho.

15. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

I think Hubbs said they will more than likely get to 25 in this class. I see no reason why they can't/won't. I think the # ranking will ultimately depend on how many of the Lawson/Green/North/other top running back they can get because those are the guys that will give you the most bonus points and such.

16. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

I hope you are right. It seems like I have heard these comments from people for the last 5 years.

17. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Landing the TK, Bates, and the Berry brothers alone would probably help with other elite kids. Wharton has been said to be one that is already recruiting hard for TN. They earlier that you can get more of them on board, the better obviously.

18. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Depends on many conditional outcomes. Starting with the fairly likely, we will get a bunch of strong 3 stars and jump to around 25. Remember schools above us are going to get guys too. Now a near 5 star like North gets us inside 20. If we additionally get Green or Kamara we will jump to around 10. If the above happens and we get Lawson and/or Herron we will move to around 8. Once you get inside 10 it is harder to climb. Those teams have some serious studs i.e. there is a gap. 8 would be the ceiling IMO. I would put my bets at just inside 20.

19. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

Too early to read it, IP. The OVs will tell us how good Jones/staff are at flipping guys and sealing deals with those truly on the fence. Green has tried every way in the world to justify coming to UT, but still has Michigan out front. Lawson is visiting the store at least even though there is really no reason to think he will back away from his AU commitment. North appears to be watching the others to see what they do first. Can't read Bell. He's coming and grew up wanting to be a Vol, but he's had two, multi-NC coaches after him in Saban and Meyer. People around here like Kamara, but like Lawson he is already committed to UGA and Jones has to flip him.

I personally believe there are good reasons they keep offering the 3*, 5.6-5.7 guys. They are the ones the staff believes they will get. I know they are covering their bases and trying for better, but with an unproven in the SEC HC/staff and a down, losing record program it will be a hard sale.

20. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Kamara committed? I see him as undeclared.