Butch and recruiting

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by justingroves, Dec 30, 2012.

1. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

You are right. He was an early UGA lean, that both UGA and Bama want. Bama more for a slot.

2. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I've never heard that.

3. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

The mental picture of Jones' recruiting this season is developing in my ever digressing brain cells. What I thought previously appears to be what's happening except the players as a rule are truly under-valued, quality commits. At first it appeared they were going to land nothing but the middle of the road 3* that would take 2-3 years to develop. What I am actually seeing is some high 3* where a legitimate case could be made for them being 4*. Some of the mid-pack guys are fall-backs to fill in gaps if the primary targets don't come. They are still in it for a handful of the higher rated guys. So if they can pull 7-8 legit 4* and 10+ legit high end 3* (5.6-5.7 Rivals) they are essentially top 15 in recruiting. For this year that is the best we could expect. It keeps you on the field with 4th-7th place SEC talent like they have recruited the last few years. If Jones can do something positive with it he has a shot to build on it. The '14 recruiting is in full swing with legacies and in-state being big to be successful.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh, look. I didn't even know I could still get a recruiting boner.

5. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Heard today that Elder called one of the more prominent schools in Memphis to say he wanted to stop by while he was in Memphis seeing Carr and Morris. The school, told Elder he was not allowed on campus anymore. It all stems from them screwing over a kid in this past class while at Cincy.....

Heard Jones tried to make amends, but the school is not very happy with the crap that Jones and crew pulled.

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Oh awesome. So much for the boost to Memphis recruiting.

7. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

That will work out well when Jones tells the Memphis director of schools that one of their own is blocking students from getting scholarship offers. Smart.

8. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

This. Coaches need to do what's best for the student-athlete. Holding a grudge on behalf of a former player and his situation with this staff is just silly.

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

You act like this isn't commonplace.

10. GahLee

Doesn't make it right.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

He's not costing the kid offers. Coaches can still contact the recruit. Coach just doesn't like what he did, so no stepping on campus.

12. GahLee

If they can fill some needs with this class and manage to land a few legit studs ( North, Green and so on ) I'd be fine with the class. Next years class has the potential to be elite. Of course UT is going to have to win some ball games next year.

I love that there are so many legacies that just happen to be excellent prospects. Hopefully we can pull these kids.

13. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

The Memphis city school system is as chaotic as anywhere right now. Doing anything to step on toes at this point isn't smart, much less snubbing one of the soon to be highest profile men in the state.

14. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

1) It's a private school
    2) It's not a school you typically want a bad relationship with.
    3) They are not going to discourage kids from going to UT but they sure are not going to help this staff.
    4) It was Dooley esque stupidity by Elder and Jones that led to this.
    5) They could have rectified this issue when he took the TN job and all would have been fine, but he chose not too.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Can't be White Station. Has to be MUS

16. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Has to be. They don't have any big prospects this year so this would be interesting to hear.

17. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

I won't confirm nor deny which school at this time at of respect for people that I know at that school, but I can tell you that due to the kid it that it involved, it did not take long for other local coaches to get word and some other teams might already be using to recruit against Jones and Co.

I will try to add more of what I can say on the matter later...

18. chavisut

Well MUS is the only school I can think of. Were you talking about this class or last year?

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Sounds like the typical crap you hear out of Memphis not just in reference to recruiting, college football, or sports in general.

20. chavisut

Haven't seen it brought up. Chauntez Jackson switched his commitment to Houston. Grade issues.