Butch Jones on Lane Kiffin

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Apr 10, 2014.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

2014 as compared to 2013.

Defensive line: better
    LBs: better
    Secondary: way better
    QB: better via more experience
    RB: better
    WRs: way better
    OL: worse

2. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

The key will be how much worse will the OL be. The 2014 OL could be worse individually but possibly almost as good as a unit. Such is the dynamics of the OL. Will almost as good be good enough to get us over the hump next year and back into a bowl.

3. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

The one good thing is many of the SEC East teams lost key players from last year and Mizzou lost quite a bit. Beat them at home and take care of Vandy and we've got 6 wins. Easier said than done, I know, but no way Butch cant make a bowl this year.

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Holy Vandy commentary. That's where we are.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

1. I hope so, but the DL improvement banks on a lot of guys being better than guys they couldn't beat out last season or freshmen.

I think the DE position will be fine. Jacques was so bad and Vereen will probably have a lot of improvement from freshman to sophomore. Depth seems like an issue, but maybe Maggitt moving full or part time will help out. More worried about the interior. Sounds like the Juco guy is undersized and needs a lot of conditioning work.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  6. DirtyVol

DirtyVol New Member

everyone talked about how talented the oline was andthen came the draft. I won't be surprised if this year's line is as good if not better.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tiny didn't get drafted due to his knees, not his skill level.

Fulton and James both went and Stone was signed 10 minutes after the draft.

There's a walk on pressing for a starting spot at LT. The OL will struggle.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Scheme can cover up weaknesses on the OL. Last year's OL were 310 lb road graders. They didn't fit want Bajakian was doing at all.

This year's line is a little more athletic and smaller. They'll probably be okay in the run game, but they will struggle in pass protection. Also, having two tight ends that can block in Wolf and Ayers should make a difference too. The TE position was non existent last season. Now, Tennessee has two that can do everything and another that can be pretty much an extra tackle.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I would like to just not pass very much

10. kidbourbon

Yeah, let's just use our stud receivers as decoys. No need to get them the ball so they can make plays.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The person getting them the ball could be a problem.

Worley takes 4 minutes to make his mind up, Ferguson still struggles making reads and Dobbs has to get better (he should be better) but he wasn't very good last year.

12. kidbourbon

So apparently my thoughts on OL aren't that radical as you and volindawgland pretty much echoed my sentiments. In addition to those two points, and also as a result of those two points, I think the gap between a good OL and a bad OL isn't nearly as wide as the gap between a good and bad DL...or good and bad linebackers or secondary guys. Stated differently, I tend to think that o-lines that are considered great probably aren't adding as much value to the offense as might be commonly thought, and o-lines that are considered bad probably aren't weighing the offense down as much as the general consensus might have one believe. But, as noted, this theory relies on the assumption that the scheme isn't putting weaker offensive linemen in situations they aren't suited to handle.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I really hope Ferguson or Dobbs can play.

WR is without a doubt the most talented position on the team but it doesn't matter if the QB can't get them the ball. Wolf and Helm at TE should make the offense completely different.

The running game will be good this year, especially if Lane can stay healthy. Hurd will be a monster.

14. kidbourbon

i'm hoping I don't see much of Worley.

I think Dobbs is competent enough to help the receivers help him look better than he is.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A great offensive line carried one of the most conservative offensive schemes in the history of football to a national title in 1998. A great QB can make an OL look a lot better than they are, but a great OL can make a average QB look good too. Any QB can look good if they have time to go through their reads twice (looking at you Ken Dorsey).

You can function with an average OL and a great QB. You can be alright with a great OL and an average QB. But you can't be average at both and expect a lot of wins.

There's no way to hide a bad defensive line.

16. kidbourbon

But....Travis Henry.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Great running back but he wasn't touched until he got past the LB's on a lot of his carries.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You are acting like we attempt to scheme away from our weaknesses. Bajakian gonna bajak.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I was being somewhat facetious.

I agree with this.

20. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I'm with you here, but gotta feeling it doesn't happen.