Butch's Leash Under Currie

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NEW COACH, May 17, 2017.

1. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Oh, totally agree. He's had the last 2 years as great opportunities to show something.

I still think there's a really good chance the wheels fall off in the first game.

And it's sad because we have talent. There's no denying it.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Exactly this. He's made this bed.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I agree. 9 or 10 wins. The skill is there, the depth in the trenches is there, and we supposedly made some good assistant hires and also supposedly have a mastermind in Shoop, though he decided to stay in nickel last year while getting gashed. My only thought is we didn't have enough lbs left to play a 4-3 and Bynum was just a mismatch waiting to happen when we did.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

For all of Butch's recruiting, he had two linebackers ready last year. Both were injured by week 4. Bituli could be good, but for some reason they put Jumper out there

5. Ssmiff

yep. Sapp with an example of letting up before contact on ST's to a smaller dude cost him and us. You can't decelerate as he did. Bituli could be good and Kirkland needs to step up. We still don't have anybody that plays like JRM as far as reading, instinct and disruption. I'm not sure about Butch's evals on LB and Thig's evals and coaching. We have 4* rated guys that can't get on the field. Looking forward to seeing if Smith can step up.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't think Thigpen is much of a coach. None of the linebackers that have been decent since he was here you can really point at as being developed. They were good when they got here. The scores of four stars he hasn't been able to turn into even passable players is extremely damning.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Gonna be in lexington after the uga/sc/bama stretch. If we get blown out by bama and are sitting there with three losses I can see a mail in.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Even so. Would take a spectacular effort to lose.

9. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Thig is a great motivator and recruiter. Shoop knows how to coach LB's and will be much more involved with them this year. Last year he was splitting a lot of his time between LB's and the secondary since Martinez was not worth a shit. With Warren in the fold I think our LB's will improve since Shoop can spend more time helping out there. Of course it's hard to say how much since the talent there does not look great.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't think Willie has managed to find another job.

Edit: never mind. I see he landed at Cinncinati.

11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

They only have him in charge of CB's there. Pretty sure he is mostly there to recruit.

12. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

Shoop is soooo overated. I think PSU defense got better when he left and TN got worse when he got here. He's another Sunseri imo, hopefully the new position coaches can overcome his leadership.

13. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

And sure as hell not after you're undefeated with Florida and Georgia in the rearview.

14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Shoop had Penn State ranked 2nd in total defense while at Penn State. They were 34th last year. Definitely got better.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He could have two or three more seasons like last year and still be ahead of Sunseri. Sal was a joke from day one. Shoop helped turn Franklin into a candidate for top tier jobs.

16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

He took a Vaderbilt team that was ranked in the 90's for total D and kept them in the top 25 the whole time he was there. Guy can coach. IMO

17. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

I hope I'm wrong and we have a defence again.

18. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

The D will be especially important since we don't have a proven QB.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Deep thoughts with 10SEvols

20. Ssmiff

Still up in the air on him. Giving him a break for last year but he still didn't show much and when he did get pretty with blitz packages we showed way to early and opponents easily knew where to go.