California court rules tenure unconstitutional

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by droski, Jun 10, 2014.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Yes.

I'm all for removing ineffective, incompetent and/or immoral teachers.

2. JayVols

Then the Board steps in. That's their job.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It will never work either due to influences of the union and human nature of administration.

4. JayVols

That's an administration issue. The teacher's "union" has been neutered.

5. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

The board is appointed by the superintendent.

6. JayVols

Also, it's human nature to remove a 25 year veteran teacher that is effective and replace them with an unproven rookie teacher that works for less cost that happens to be your best friend's daughter.

7. JayVols

That's an issue for your local govt not to mention stupid. Most Boards are elected.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

haul your show to the ruined public education system in the NE and tell me the union is neutered. It's embarrassing around here.

9. JayVols

Come to the South. Different story.

10. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

The AEA in Alabama is a political leg. I have not been a member of the AEA or NEA in 25 years. I refuse to let them use my money the way they want to use it.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The union isn't very effective but I don't agree with it being neutered. It still has a lot of political power and resources.

12. JayVols

I'm not an NEA/TEA member for the record. There's no point in being a member anymore.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

A 25 year old teacher that does their job well is very ingrained into the community. That wouldn't be a great political move.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The only remote benefit would be the insurance, but you can get that cheaper through other measures.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

shockingly, where it's strongest and tenure the rule, the schools are the worst.

16. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

It's almost like some correlation exists.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

not really. We can anecdote any situation into a bad system. This situation probably happens on a very, very limited basis. The situation where tenure protects a worthless POS is far more prevalent.

How many school administrators, who pull the hire / fire strings at actual public schools, have a budget function over which they have any control anyway? My wife is a very educated teacher, which makes her more expensive, but in her experience, the hiring decisions are about experience, classroom management and approach to learning. I can't ever hearing her mention budget as a part of any teacher hiring decision.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

those are the places where the most great teachers get screwed because they make too much.

19. JayVols

And that makes it ok?

20. JayVols

It was an added benefit to hiring your buddy's daughter.

I realize 2 things here:
    1. Tenure is not used as it was intended.
    2. Me even trying to talk about the intended/proper use of tenure here is as useless as t its on a boar hog.

Thus, I'll let you guys have at it.