California court rules tenure unconstitutional

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by droski, Jun 10, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

2. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Heard about this on the radio. I was a bit shocked.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Crap, now all the crappy profs are going to be leaving California to come to our good schools.

4. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I'm no great fan of tenure in most of its current forms. That said, that decision is on incredibly shaky legal ground. No better than 50-50 that it survives appellate review. Appeals courts aren't nearly as impressed by "novel" arguments as the trial benches are.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I have to admit I don't quite understand why it would be unconstitutional.

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Where are you seeing that it is ruled unconstitutional?

7. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Two years? Should be at least ten to fifteen.

Congratulations, you did your job just well enough to avoid being terminated for 24 months, 6 of which were Summer break. Here is a job for the rest of your life.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  9. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

The result doesn't much bother me. The legal reasoning is laughable.

10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Teachers should get the exact same tenure - and no more - as plumbers, lawyers, bankers, landscapers, retail workers, welders and everyone else gets.

Which is to say: NONE.

11. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Every state has its own constitution.

12. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

As a teacher/coach for 33 years, I see nothing wrong with doing away with the tenure law. If I'm not good enough, fire me. There shouldn't be a law that says I must stay in a job.

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

The intention of tenure laws & how they are practiced are two totally different deals.

14. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Incompetence, immorality & insufficient teaching are listed as grounds for termination in tenure laws.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

You'd have to be really really incompetent to get fired after getting tenure. The common course is to just move them around grade levels or locations.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That's the way I see it too.

17. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Bingo. The reason the tenure system isn't working correctly is because the admins aren't doing what they're supposed to do.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

has nothing to do with it being an atrocious idea and ripe for massive abuse - nothing at all.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I just finished a high end job for a client. They've done 5 big jobs the past 3 years, we've gotten 2 of them. Ours were the only ones started and completed on time.

They are about to start the 6th. I was told they would take a bid from us and "consider it".

20. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

It would be great if those rules were actually kept. When you see a principal start dating the counselor and she leaves her husband and he leaves his wife,(also a teacher) and becomes the superintendent, you come to realize that these rules mean absolutely nothing. I use to highlight the word immorality in every contract I signed.