California court rules tenure unconstitutional

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by droski, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I agree and I've always maintained that jobs such as teaching are far different than being in sales, a lawyer or whatever, where their worth is pretty easy to value ($$) as opposed to a more subjective concept of "good teacher", although really bad teachers are quite easy to identify. I also wonder how the idea that tenure should be eliminated because it is rife with abuse will be replaced with a system of hiring and firing on the basis of "merit", but that, somehow, won't be subject to the same concepts of potential abuse.

A guy I teach with is, basically, banned from teaching in his home county because some principal at his old high school said he wasn't going to rehire him and, due to his status as a "non-rehire", he's not allowed to get a job in that county. Permanently. Now, he's not bad, at all, and, in fact, two separate schools tried hard to hire him, only to run into the higher ups giving him the Shoeless Joe Jackson Treatment. So, one, it's not exceptionally difficult to get rid of bad teachers (we got rid of two at my school this year) and, two, I am sure that plenty of shitty results would occur if any kind of teacher protections are entirely scrapped.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the problem with the slippery slope argument is that there are already thousands of private schools without tenure who don't seem to have all these problems that the pro tenure people claim will occur if we get rid of tenure. that isn't to say it's not highly likely some good teachers might get fired for political reasons, but as they say shit happens. every profession has good people get fired for bullshit reasons.

3. Unimane

Private schools are an entirely different world than public schools, in so many ways. Switch student bodies, tell the private schools they can't just kick out anybody they don't want and tell me if everything runs the same.

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Don't forget entry standards.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

not sure how that's relates to tenure. . .

6. Unimane

Because it's based on the idea that tenure is going to affect the teachers the same in private schools as it is in public schools. They are simply two different realms and are pretty incomparable.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I haven't taught in primary or secondary schools, so this is based off of where college freshmen came from:

The difference in quality of student varies from private to public a lot, and even from one public school to another. Teachers as the worst schools shouldn't be compared to others in a vacuum. It is an entirely different challenge.

That being said, I think tenure as it is now is not conducive to the teaching profession. There is probably a middle ground that can be found. A sort of "diet tenure" where it is only in effect as long as certain minimum guidelines are met or give it an easier override path.

8. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Not really the counselor is ugly as crap. He left the better looking woman. Plus her husband had developed a disease that left him totally immobile. Doctor's still haven't figured out what he has, he spends all his time in a wheelchair, he can't move his hands and legs.

9. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

She didn't get wet enough and didn't like it in her mouth, is what I heard.

10. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I get little flack because I'm not in the standard union. I belong to a "union" called Christian Educators Association International. I get the same benefits as far as insurance, $2,000,000 coverage. Most of the teachers that I teach with are wanting to know more about it because its cheaper and you only have to pay dues once a year. If I'm not mistaken it's about $140 a year. And yes, if you are in need of a lawyer, they will get you one.

11. Unimane

Agree here.

12. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I have no issue with that either.