Can't Get Enough

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Two things I can't get enough of in the last few days.

1. Grandma Thanksgiving You Name It Song:
    [youtube]sMwPboqZ[/youtube]

2. Tucker Carlson Slaying Liberal and Perpetrating Fools by the dozen on his new show. He's like Bill O'Reilly but with substance and minus the dumbed down bullet points. The left is going to quickly learn to revile Carlson.

vs. The Hill's Jonathan Allen
    "I realize that has nothing to do with the question I asked you."
    [youtube]kHP_bkoo32[/youtube]

vs. anti-Trump Protestor
    "I think that you need to think this through, Alex."
    [youtube]MrW6OBmJH8g[/youtube]

vs. NYT's Kristof
    (Laughing, when Kristof claims he isn't demonizing Trump supporters)
    "You just compared them to the Klan!"
    [youtube]8tNWhqLL9Jo[/youtube]

vs. NYC Council Member on Immigration
    "What he's saying is that he's going to enforce the law, and you're saying that you're going to ignore the law. Sort of an odd position for an elected official."
    [youtube]18-58XjCLmE[/youtube]

It's good to see Carlson being unleashed at Fox. Every show has been a gold mine, thus far.

2. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Tucker Carlson, American hero.

3. MWR

MWR Contributor

This could be the future of our country.

[video=youtube;u1cKBq1aIpA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1cKBq1aIpA[/video]

4. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Why does Fox bring in so many random fools and quacks to interview?

That's why I don't watch it. It's a waste of time. You would think with their resources they could bring in leading thinkers and pundits, but they don't seem to have much interest in it.

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Because they have an agenda just like the rest of them.

I'm not a fan of political opinion shows like Maddow's, O'Rielly's, Hannity's et al that are passed off as hard news.

A lot of this crap started with the rise of Rush Limbaugh's show (and I say that because his was the first I remember becoming popular) and has branched to all political viewpoints. When you have these assholes screaming stuff from the fringes, creating fear, each side starts to view the other as bad, the enemy or even evil. Not much room for constructive political discourse to actually address problems in this atmosphere. It becomes what it is now, a pendulum that swings wildly from one extreme to the other. The sole obsession of whichever side the pendulum is on is to undo all the stuff the group on the other side of the pendulum did when they were in office.

I really do blame these type shows for poisoning the well.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Every single person in these videos knew exactly what they were doing, and voluntarily chose to appear. And there is a reason why they chose to do so, in each case, defending an article, identified leader or spokesperson of a movement....they aren't just wandering the streets and shoving microphones into the faces of completely unaware and conveniently selected passers-by.

I think some may be uncomfortable with how they look under the scrutiny of the studio's lights and Carlson's questioning. Or, perhaps some don't like Carlson's approach. Or, perhaps again, some may not prefer to see the substantive basis for many of these people laid bare, for all to see. But, this isn't like CNN / MSNBC, who routinely scour GOP / Right wing crowds to put the microphone in front of the biggest nutjob they can find.

You can't blame the spotlight for a disappointing performance, when someone walks into it, and welcomes it.

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I saw two idiots. One didn't stammer as much as the other, but was no less an idiot.

I mean, hell. I could be that guy. Watch:
    Idiot 1: "You know who doesn't burn flags? Infants. Why can't you be more like infants?"

8. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Based on that one video, I mean, that guy has to be one of the biggest talking head idiots around, right?

His questions are basically redirects that have no bearing, except to get people to nod their head without understanding.

I mean, I could do the same thing, and everyone with two brain cells would rightfully question it.

Let's use an example: Police officers have dangerous jobs and don't make enough money:

Tucker fl0at interviewing law enforcement union official: "So, can you think of another country where you'd rather practice law enforcement? Where you'd be safer, or make more money? No? Oh, well, hah. Gotcha"

And people think this is good?

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

College kids should probably be banned from appearing on television.

10. MWR

MWR Contributor

Then maybe you missed your calling.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Don't play the fool. They intentionally put people on that they can humiliate.

12. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

Where did the bill o'Reilly / john Stewart discourse fit into all of this?

I thought that was an informed, respectful dialogue and usually learned something from each of them.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And most ask to go on air

14. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Didn't Jon Stewart used to humiliate Tucker Carlson?

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

You implying they don't invite the Cornel West's of the world? Or anyone else? They invite anyone. Most don't come because extreme views, from with side, stand up poorly under scrutiny.

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

MSNBC has no trouble getting conservative thought leaders on shows like Meet the Press, Morning Joe, and that show with Mark Halperin. They get them daily.

17. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Question (In my best Dwight Schrute voice): If you had to pick one or two "media members" that you best thought could hold their own in a debate, who would you pick for the conservative talking point, liberal talking point?

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Because it's Morning Joe and the Meet the Press silliness used to be a big deal. Fox invites them all because it's about ratings.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Conservative: George Will and Thomas Sowell
    Liberal: Gergen. The rest strike me as way left.

20. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

O'Reilly

Stewart. Maybe maddow. I like her style and she's smart. I'd like to see her perform in the fire of a back-and-forth.

AC could probably handle either side, but isn't that what real journalists are supposed to do.

Anyone remember steve allen's "meeting of the minds?"

Oh, and of course, Arthur R. Miller.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016