Can't Get Enough

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Nov 22, 2016.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Agree with these. Also Peggy Noonan and David Brooks.

Jon Stewart would be tough to beat on the left.

2. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I've never been impressed with Stewart or O'Reilly. Entertainers posing as intellectuals is all either amount to.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Yep.

They have a very successful business model.

4. JayVols

Disappointed no one has mentioned the McLaughlin Group.

5. JayVols

I think Bill Maher could hold his own. I know most here think he's terrible, and I don't agree with him on a lot of stuff, but he & O'Rielly or Hannity going at it full bore would be highly (no pun intended since I'm talking about weed champion, Bill Maher) entertaining.

6. JayVols

Weaving politics and good humor together is not that easy. I think Stewart's fairly sharp. I know most here aren't into his positions, but he was able to get a good number of young folks to pay attention to politics. That's no easy feat.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Bill Maher swings so high and low with me.

I'm hoping Tulsi Gabbard continues to ascend to leadership. She's sharp. Not sure how she'd do on a television back-and-forth.

8. JayVols

The Dems could take some advice from him & be more successful. He basically says quit *****footing around with the Republicans trying to get their input & approval because 1. You're not going to get it and 2. They're not going to try to get yours when in power.

He has a point. Dems are the best at not owning who they are and acting indecisively.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Definitely. And that goes with maintaining focus on key issues that affect everyone, rather than lots of specialty issues too.

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

He can be entertaining, but aren't you were tired of stuff like this being passed off as news? He had the same sort of goals as someone like O'Reilly just packaged slightly differently with a different lean.

11. JayVols

Oh, I am. Just saying I don't think he's an idiot. I don't think O'Rielly, Maddow, Hannity, Limbaugh et al are idiots either.

I never watched a single Daily News show.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think it's fair to say those two were the same. One was doing their schtick on an appropriate network, the other isn't.

13. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I certainly don't agree with him on everything but I definitely don't think he's terrible.

14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Hannity is one of my least favorite human beings.

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Why is Gabbard considered "the most Trumpian democrat in Congress?"

16. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Agree, but Hannity wins the 'which one of these is not like the others' game.

17. JayVols

Me too. He's a legit piece of shit, imo.

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Most of their ilk aren't. I agree with your opinion on these types of outlets. What's sad is that people have gotten to the point that news has to be sensationalized or wrapped in humor for many to pay attention. Most can't or won't see through the bs.

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Eh, I wouldn't argue Stewart was just doing a routine or that Comedy Central wasn't trying to get in on a piece of the news/politics pie. I sure wouldn't want to argue the former, and without both, they are pretty close. It also doesn't help that surveys put it close to or ahead of other networks' shows for where young folks get their news.

20. JayVols

Agreed. I also find it sad that folks rarely seek out sources that might hold differing opinions from their own on all things political. Most folks just choose the echo chamber of their choosing because it doesn't require any intellectual engagement or examination of why he/she holds the views they hold.

It's part comfort zone, part intellectual laziness and part apathy.