Center Of The World: NYC

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by The Buddha, Oct 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. IP

IP Super Moderator

New York City smells of dog piss in the warm months. Much nicer in the cool months.

2. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Miami's rich close to poverty is more pronounced than Philly's and New York's is essentially the same. Cincinnati and St. Louis are close to that, too.

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

NYC around the holidays is awesome

4. hatvol96

If you are judging cities by olfactory readings, you are probably going to end up loving the Minneapolises of the world.

5. hatvol96

Oddly, that was my least favorite time of the year there. You can only tell some white bread family from Omaha where Rockefeller Plaza is so many times til your homicidal instincts kick in.

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

You really can't miss Rockefeller Plaza. They had to be dumb. Listen for the tune playing at Saks Fifth Avenue. Look for the Golden Angels and the huge ice skating rink. And the taller than normal tower. Now that I think about it, I see why you got angry.

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Shreveport smells like 15,000 cattle rotting in water no matter what time of the year.

8. hatvol96

Especially when you factor in that when I dealt with them I was usually coming from the Garden or my favorite Irish or Aussie pubs.

9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

My favorite cities:

Chicago
    San Francisco
    Milwaukee/Madison (depending on my mood)
    Arequipa, Peru
    Santo Domingo

Worst

Atlanta
    Lima, Peru
    Suva, Fiji
    Cancun

Dying to see:

Auckland
    Rio
    Vienna
    Barcelona
    Thimphu

Also, shockingly, I've been around a little bit, but never to NYC. Crazy.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Vienna nice. Innsbruck nicer.

11. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Personally, I love winter --- ice (on roads and tress) not so much. Seems every 4-6 yrs they get it pretty good (last, '09 was brutal), otherwise agree.

IIRC, she said that particular winter was one of those yrs, colder more snow and storms than normal (just her luck), the “bone cutting” wind chill sealed it for her.

"Awfully gray..." I’ve lived in Seattle (still have a home there), no comparison. :D

12. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I've been at Christmas, It was ok, but being shoulder to shoulder with a milliion people, standing in line to 45 minutes to piss, and the dipshit cabs that have the heater up to 120 degrees made it not so great to me. I'd rather spend Christmas in the mountains of East Tennessee with a large fireplace and sledding down a hill with my girls.

13. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Loved Auckland and Barcelona. Hope you (soon) have a chance

14. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Yeah, Christmas and NYE fun times

15. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

You don't like people, do you?

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Barcelona is a shithole

17. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Says the LA resident.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm thinking you haven been to both cities.

19. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Yes. Barcelona twice ('00-'07) w/ future visit upcoming. LA numerous times. Maybe we can catch a quick drink during one those visits.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

LA is Monte Carlo compared to Barcelona.