Changes You Hope to See Next Week

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Indy, Sep 5, 2015.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

You must be new here.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Don't disagree at all, but it seems pretty stupid to say North isn't good

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I remember last year when Dobbs wasn't ready and would be of no help to us, right up until he actually was put on the field. It's probably like that with North. He sucks right now, but as soon as he gets targeted he'll suddenly be good.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Saw a couple of twitter rumblings he wasn't targeted to let him get back from injury, per se.

Dunno how much to buy that.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I buy it more than "he's just not good anymore."

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

That's pretty ridiculous. Why risk injury even being in the game, then?

7. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I think it's fair to question whether we've made him better than he is in message board legend. We don't have a ton of data. He's made some huge plays and he has great size. I know that.

8. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Comparing his stats vs Croom's is sliiiiiightly depressing.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They played him last year for two games, never targeted him them shut him down with a shoulder/back injury after UTC

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

All I know is that every time he's been given the ball that I've seen, he's made a play. The problem is that he hardly gets any targets, which makes no sense.

11. TennTradition

Honest question - is he getting open?

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

You are asking the wrong man that question. I'd find it hard to believe he isn't.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes. Dobbs tucked and ran once yesterday while North was sitting wide open on a corner route

Why isn't he getting the screens and quick hitches the rest of the wrs get?

14. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

It's odd, but is it purely a selection of best matchup? Was North drawing the best defender every time? I don't recall him getting a single target, and even Williams had a couple tossed his way.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He never had a pass thrown his way

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

He was clearly open more than once though. He was open on a deep out and the commentators even pointed it out on one of Dobb's 3 yard scrambles.

17. TennTradition

I had forgotten about that one. But I remember that now that you mention it.

18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

In that case I'm glad it happened in semi-meaningful time so that it won't be swept under the rug.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It doesn't really matter. The defensive backfield should look different next Saturday.

TKjr is going to actually practice and start, Martin is expected to be back and Martinez is going to be in the booth.

Tennessee also isn't going to face an offense that moves that fast between plays again either. Oklahoma is going to try, but it's year one in their system and their first road game.

The dbs were bad in this game, but Moseley has 5 starts from last season where he played very well. One game against an extremely well coached air raid offense with two 4 star transfers isn't going to make me go "well, he sucks now".

Micah Abernathy played well for a true freshman as well.

Foreman seemed lost. He's a career special teamer most likely.

I'm not a huge fan of this staff, but there are guys that we've seen play better for longer periods of time last year under the same staff. Martinez, who I think is a mediocre db coach, is a huge part of this staff. He's the guy that Jancek stays in constant contact with from the booth.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Pretty much, what I'm saying is this isn't really a good game for overreacting. I don't think this staff is very good on gameday.

I thought that after 2013 Mizzou and 2014 Florida.

I think they have done some inexcusably dumb things personnel wise in their time here.

However, yesterday in Nashville didn't really swing the needle either way for me. There were only 3 things that really were dumb, at least to me. They were: North never touching a football, Kirkland coming off the field and McKenzie not seeing the field til late in the game.

The defensive backfield is not a hard problem, though. Health and getting your db coach back will make it a better.