Condemnation of Caesar Play with President Look-Alike

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Jun 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/shakesblog/obamas-ides-of-march/

Whoops, guess it's not, what with the play being Obama as Caesar and not the current one with Trump in the Park.

Now, besides the conservative outrage hypocrisy, the greater question, to me, is how much influence does rhetoric and projections of violence towards authority have upon people? This public play in New York has received large amounts of criticism, but they did the same play with Obama, and Bush, for that matter. The play, of course, is actually about the negative repercussions of such a violent overthrow, but the perception may seem the opposite.

2. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

The outrage is ridiculous but I believe mostly born from a lack of understanding. People do not understand Julius Caesar and its message on assassination, nor do they understand the very common practice of modernizing Shakespeare productions - presentations through a present day lens happen all the time. It's much ado about nothing (stolen, I'm sure).

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

True

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

To singularly define any artistic work is to be ignorant of what art is, and can be.

If you don't like the play, don't go. If you don't want to patronize the sponsors of this art, then don't - but be aware that any assault on art which you find to be "offensive" only proves your ignorance of what art is, is intended to do, or the invaluable service it makes to society and man.

5. gcbvol

Well said, Tenny!

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm curious about it. I'm told it actually warns against violent overthrows, much like the original play

7. gcbvol

I've never seen a production which didn't follow the original theme. Certainly doesn't mean they don't exist, but would be an extreme departure from Shakespeare's work/vision.