Conference Championship Sunday

Discussion in 'Sports' started by hallowed_hill, Jan 19, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you need a lot better grades than just being an honor student to get into stanford.

2. Tiger was known for his golf game before he went to Stanford. Golf was his major.

And I totally agree about people who act like their team's athletic department is full of scholars. I also cannot stand the folks who think 100 student athletes (85 FB, 15 BB) compromise the system and drag the school down.

3. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Or you can be a minority - otherwise better have a 4.0 and tons of awesome recommendations, volunteerism and leadership positions.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

[video=youtube;Wl4ViIwy7KA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl4ViIwy7KA#t=11[/video]

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yeah, but he wasn't exactly heading to a junior college without golf. He lived in Orange County, went to a good high school and had about a 3.8 or something GPA. I don't think he was out of place with the average Stanford student.

7. Unimane

He spent the first part of the article sounding like some 12 year old busted for something, but refusing to take any responsibility whatsoever. I mean, this....

"I threw a choking sign at 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Why? Because he decided he was going to try the guy he was avoiding all game, because, I don’t know, he’s probably not paying attention for the game-winning play. C’mon, you’re better than that."

That's his ****ing excuse? A day later? Just say you got caught up in the moment and shouldn't have done it instead of offering up some defensive nonsense. I would understand and respect that reasoning.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm always skeptical when I see self reported GPAs. They are usually as accurate as self reported 40 times. and western is hardly mater dei. I wouldn't call it a good high school. i'd say average. take out his black half and there is no prayer he'd get into Stanford with a 3.8 at western.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Not sure why the double quote was necessary. Either way, you're overreacting to my post. I played football my entire college career. It was a shitload of work. I assume graduate school is more difficult than undergrad, and I assume the NFL requires much more time and work than D3 college football. Thus, I came to the conclusion that doing graduate school and the NFL (and he's not just a player, he's one of the top DBs in the league) would be extremely difficult. Not all that hard to figure out.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yeah bpv, what do you know about playing college athletics anyway?

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Oh come off it. I don't know anything about BPV or what he did in college, nor was I insinuating a damn thing about him. All I know is my own experience, and my experience is that rigorous academics and college sports are not an easy combination.

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

No doubt.

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Bpv is as athletic as a barrel of [Richards] I've heard.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Neither is working through college. Lots of people do it.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Uh, he was out of place with the average Stanford student.

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

he's a DB making a living in athleticism. He isn't in grad school during the season. Summer school and correspondence qualify.

You're making it sound like he knocks out these crazy work weeks. It's ridiculous.

Graduate school is no different and there is no talk of hours here. Taking a course qualifies.

I can't help you with your placing a ridiculous amount of respect on the crap you're ascribing to the guy. He's a pro football player and part time student.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Wth is rigorous academics? Getting a C is nearly effortless.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The dude presented Sherman's going to grad school as if it was some testament to his intelligence. I took it to mean it was something significant based off of the way the OP presented the info.

Do a lot of people who get C's do grad school stuff?

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Yes. Grad schools have to make a living too.

20. Unimane

Because.....?