COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

early morning outdoor services sound pretty nice, tbh. Could even pick some nice parks or fields for variety.

A-Smith and CardinalVol like this.
  2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I know a few local churches that bought the fm transmitters that love it so much they were going to keep doing it that way all summer even once they could go back in the building

2Maggitt2Quit likes this.
  3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

It's not the worst idea. Probably not logistically possible weekly, but every so often would be neat. My church averages 1,200ish over two services weekly (not counting kids), so we aren't planning on meeting together for a while. Going to start meeting for small groups in person again after Memorial Day.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Growing up, we'd go to Cades Cove or other places once a year and do a sort of church service in the mountains thing. We were a 10th of your number, though.

justingroves likes this.
  5. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

It seems that there are some individuals that are just super-spreaders. Combine them with a certain kind of event, and things can light off.

6. TennTradition

We aren't quite as big as you, but we're struggling through our plan on how best to reopen and when. It'll still be while.

We are thinking about adding a third service for social distancing of the at-risk, but we want to control numbers and aren't confident the elderly (most of the at-risk) will feel comfortable reserving a spot on the app.

7. CardinalVol

We, as a whole, are younger and pretty techy. My guess is when we do open up that we will go 3 services and will have to reserve seats wit ha certain amount open for visitors. We had already been contemplating 3 services anyway.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The issue here was that the churches wanted the younger to come to church and the older to stay home.

That's not was happening. The ones at risk were the ones coming with the young ones staying home.

TennTradition likes this.
  9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I’m talking about money

10. TennTradition

I got your point on the money.

Or at least I thought I did.

I took it to mean that with the extra 15% for COVID cases (and medicare funding extended to COVID uninsured) that hospitals would be motivated to claim deaths as COVID deaths. Of course, that funding isn't just for deaths. You get the money for treating (13k) or ventilating (30+k) a patient regardless of recovery/death, to my knowledge.

The point IP and I were making is that saying everything was COVID would mean that you would have more COVID deaths than "extra" deaths over what is typical for this time of year. Instead you are seeing the opposite, where "extra" deaths are exceeding those labeled COVID.

My other point was that gap is closing, though. I'll be watching that closely over the next few weeks.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    2Maggitt2Quit and droski like this.
  11. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I hope this is the trend. I know many won't be able to pull it off, but it's worth trying

What really sucks is losing the handshake/hug aspect of church, even if we do eventually get back in the building.

justingroves and NorrisAlan like this.
  12. CardinalVol

No. Not a hugger.

IP and A-Smith like this.
  13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I've been telling our pastor this. Not sure why he isn't enthused.

14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

My parents' church, First Baptist Friendsville, is already back. Gotta wear a mask to get in.

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Even for big churches, seems like a lot of could find a place to run an extension cord out for a microphone/speaker

16. CardinalVol

The Friendsville 10-15 minutes from me?

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yeah. Two weeks now.

18. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

The handshake originated out of mistrust to shake loose any hidden weapons back in the day. Refusing a handshake now is out of mistrust the other person may very well kill you.

2Maggitt2Quit likes this.
  19. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

justingroves likes this.
  20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

So are we seeing an major spikes in cases from areas that have “opened up” or are they more just small clusters?

I know in Knox Co we jumped from 30ish active cases to 60 or so cases, and now we are back down to 35, I think. That was attributed to a small cluster, is what officials said, but there was no further info.

I don’t pay much attention to the state and national numbers like I do locally, so I’m curious what y’all are seeing.