COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I very much doubt that.

2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I heard a theory a few months ago that there wouldn't be as much flu this year because of the greatly reduced travel.

3. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

Mask wearing should not hurt either.

A-Smith likes this.
  4. fl0at_

It could just be us, but it seems that lots more places are absolutely requiring vaccination for the flu for the year.

I also hope that there will be a higher level of attention given, where previously, something might be dismissed early... it might be taken more seriously now, and thus get the kids in the hospital earlier.

The increased ventilators and respiratory equipment shouldn't hurt, much, either.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

that's what I thought but a lot of smart people seem to think there will be some sort of one at some point this winter.

6. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Sadly looks like people are still scared shitless of going to the hospital, thinking they're going to get the rona.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also a lot of people can't afford to seek care.

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Level 1 trauma centers dont have time to seek insurance approval. People arent turned away. At least at the ones ive been around for the last 20 years.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

They can make you wait until they think it is urgent enough to warrant care. It isn't a way to seek treatment unless you are really bad off.

10. Ssmiff

You spend much time in and around ERs?
    Im not sure you are familiar with how they work, or, how many people, prepandemic, went to the ER for non emergencies, which takes up rooms and staff.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have had a few experiences. once for a deep cut on someone, once for the worst chigger and staph thing you have ever seen, and a few broken bone incidents. they go, but they wait a long time

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

My wife’s company is pushing flu shots hard this year.

their seasonal goal more than tripled. I’d say profit margins on it is the biggest reason.

Charge 30+ dollars per shot and pay 50 cents for it

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

IF true, how is that justifiable?

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don’t know how many unsold ones they eat the cost on and they do have other over head such as having to pay a person that went to school for 8 years to give the shot.

15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Saw where California is letting folks make worker's comp claims on the 'rona. If that sticks and spreads, I'm certainly glad to not be working in that arena these days.

16. fl0at_

Would the period of time you are employed, but not able to come in, count as unemployment or worker's compensation?

We had someone who couldn't come in for 60 days because they kept testing positive. They worked from home, but it has me curious.

17. Ssmiff

if you are on a work comp claim you cant be paid and working for the company until "released" back to work.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Seems like a glitch.

the state health department told my uncle to not get tested again after recovering because he’d test positive for the next few months.

19. Ssmiff

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

In the article I saw, it would be covered under comp under certain conditions. The rules were if there was an outbreak at the place of employment which was defined as four or more people in places with up to 100 employees and 4% if over 100 and the affected employee was exposed at work, it should be considered compensable. The article was about companies hiring PIs to track down information about the folks making the claims to try to fight them, so it didn't go into details about the window of time surrounding the 4% outbreak or how they would treat employers with multiple worksites or other common questions that might come up.