COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I still think there are some who want this to fire up again for various reasons.

justingroves likes this.
  2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

If you’re willing to drive to Claiborne county I can get you a J&J anytime you want it

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

We've been trending around summer levels for about a month or so, so I'm not sure what is confusing? People are getting vaccinated, and folks in most risky behaviors have already had it.

So we're closing in on a level of immunity that makes transmission more difficult.

4. fl0at_

@Ssmiff I'm not sure about your bed usage links, without seeing them. But bed usage should be trending down all over. I talked this week with a buddy from school that is in Jackson, and he said they're down to 1 active ward, from 6 at the peak.

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Who? I think some confuse playing through the whistle with wanting it to go on.

7. fl0at_

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

9. fl0at_

It's the same numbers, but I think the wording explaining them is doing so differently. There are two ways to look at the numbers, and we don't have the methodology saying how we're supposed to read them.

As an example:

206 / 2011 can be saying there are 206 full out of 2011 possible. Alternatively, it can be saying 206 empty out of 2011 possible.

Without the methodology, we can't compare these two links.

10. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

The Michigan curve is quite aggressive. They are back to their peak pandemic levels in terms of cases - hopefully vaccination of older populations means that hospitalizations are lower. Of all the high case states, Michigan had the lowest total cases per 100,000 pop so perhaps from a transmission standpoint the virus just had more room to run there. Hopefully we don’t see that epi curve repeated in other states.

IP likes this.
  11. fl0at_

Michigan is showing it moving through younger populations, right?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Right, and the governor and state officials make a convincing argument that it is in part due to low herd immunity in population segments that successfully avoided high rates of infection up until this point. Which dovetails with why Texas and some other states are maintaining relatively low case growth despite shifting behaviors towards normal.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Eh, more people on the politics side of things from both sides because this has somehow become a political/tribal event as well that serves as a fun wedge issue and rallying call.

justingroves likes this.
  14. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

We're definitely learning some useful lessons from all of this. Lockdowns can be good and useful but in the long term they can also be bad. It's such an interesting case study that I'm sure will be looked at for years to come.

15. TennTradition

Younger yes, but not young. A lot of 40-60. So you are still getting quite a few hospitalizations. Inpatients and critical care near fall peak. Below spring.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, this will be studied for decades. Places like Europe had more intense, brief shutdowns and do not seem to be better off than we are at this point. But places like New Zealand and Australia (and China) had the most intense shutdowns and do seem to be better off. Places with no shutdowns didn't seem to be better off overall either. I'm not sure what the lesson will be, in terms of something actionable for a next time. Maybe go to masks sooner, and lockdown less? Don't know. The US never really locked down, we seemed to do a bad hybrid where some businesses were nuked and people kept gathering other places anyway.

17. fl0at_

Is that group eligible for vaccination yet? I guess they're supposed to be in 12 days, either way.

18. TennTradition

Yes I believe Michigan is 16+

19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Welp, this gave me a migraine level headache. Felt fine until around 3:00 this morning, then a headache from hell.

20. fl0at_

My mother in law had same response. Went away after 24 hours.