COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

If people were significantly able to get COVID from a drive thru, we all would have had it by now. Indoors and face to face seem to be big factors. This isn't measles, thank god.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

A medical mask is just a well built cloth mask. A N95 is made of out cotton.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

seems pretty improbable that would spread coronavirus

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Stopping 50% of a viral load is lifesaving for many people.

SetVol13 and IP like this.
  6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

If you can get psychological damage from wearing a mask, then I get psych damage from having to wear pants.

7. fl0at_

People in the other cars may not be at significant risk, but the people taking the money and giving the food, are and have been. You can use the drive thru to see that a large portion of people didn't change certain habits, and this is just one example where habits can lead to spread.

The virus infects exponentially. That will hold true until we have established herd immunity. Even just one person infected by a drive thru has an exponential chance for spread. And that is significant.

8. fl0at_

Sure. Let's address all the improbable ways COVID has spread, and conclude that it won't hit the US very hard. Oh wait, we did that... last year. And, whoops. It's a virus that spreads exponentially.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

uh it spread by people hanging out indoors without masks together.

10. fl0at_

That is the most significant source of spread. That isn't the only way it spread.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Why haven't we all gotten COVID in the course of a year, if it can be significantly spread even by drive thru? You mentioned people speaking into a speaker-- that's drivers, and that is what I am saying for there clearly not being a significant risk. Anyone having to go to a work space with other people clearly has a significant risk. In terms of it easily being transmitted to a customer through the exchange of money, or goods, again, apparently not. It's been over a year, if this was a vector with exponential spreading potential, the spikes would have been much higher. The truth is many people never changed shit about their habits/behavior, and that is what has kept this going. Drive thru's are the lease of our worries. Schools, sports, gatherings, etc keeps it going. Because people think they can get away with just this or that and it be okay. Or that because they know the other people it will be okay.

Anyway, I'll drop it. The risk is certainly not zero, but boy is it not what is keeping this going.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

If people cut that stuff out, there'd be half the deaths or less and it would likely be down to numbers so low that the majority would believe it is a hoax... and then we'd be right back here. In fact, I think there is an argument that we are smack dab in the bell curve of outcomes in terms of dealing with this, as it has to be at least a certain level of visible for people to react at all. If we all had taken care of business in April simultaneously and burned it out, it would have just resurfaced in June or something. If we did nothing at all for awhile, it would be so bad that the economy would grind to a complete halt and millions die. Maybe we are at the best place we could be at, realistic to how our population as a whole recognizes threats.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i bet it's over 95% of the cases. there's a reason why rich whitey hasn't been infected as much as everyone else. we know it doesn't get transmitted through surfaces and is an airborn illness.

14. fl0at_

I never said or implied that drive thru's are what are keeping this going. Wasn't said. Wasn't implied. What was said is exactly what was said.

If one person picked it up at a drive thru, they are a vector for exponential spread. It doesn't matter that they then went and spread it indoors. The initial picked was easily avoidable, and not, because... ?

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i bet 2/3rd less at least. assuming we are excluding nursing homes who once again spread it because they were hanging out indoors with eachother.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

this virus would be dead if all people did is went to drive thru's.

17. fl0at_

Yes. 95% of spread is likely face to face. And what? People interact with other people. If one person that would have otherwise not interacted with people, picks it up in a drive thru, guess what... it's inside their defense. And now they're going to pass it around because they think they've been safe, and are now inside with others.

18. fl0at_

But that's not all people do. They do more things.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Got it.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Speak for yourself.