COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

You make this sound like a prolonged exposure is bad. If that is true, then a quick ending would be good, and we should have just let it infect us all in April, and then moved on

It flaring up and down wouldn't have been a bad thing.

2. fl0at_

I am. I'm saying if I picked it up off a surface, or in a drive thru... and I was that 5%... I'm now going to spread it to my wife, my kid, my kid's school and my co-workers.

And they're going to account for the 95%.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

so if we want to curtail the spread we have to think of ways of discouraging people to hang out indoors without masks and not spend time wiping down every surface for no reason or worrying about drive thru's.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Soooo if masks do help as all of you think, why are mask mandates being lifted?

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also, I wore a mask through a drive thru 2 weeks ago, and the guy in the giant pick-up truck with perfect shiny paint and Texas plates was giving me a look like I was a dumb ass. yet he is driving a huge truck 1,500 miles that he doesn't even use for actual truck stuff. These urban cowboys, man. Absolute suckers for vehicles that are merely for their self-image. Though to be fair, he probably used his signing bonus on it and worked at the nearby Fort, so [uck fay] me I guess.

6. fl0at_

No, we need to do all of that: don't hang out indoors without masks (and possibly with masks, depending on the quality and ability of the person to wear it), we do need to wipe down surfaces. Wash your nasty ass hands. Wash your nasty ass ass. And wash your nasty ass hand's ass's house. That of all things shouldn't be controversial. And mask up at a drive thru. And even outdoors where you are going to be within 6 feet of people.

7. fl0at_

Because people want "freedom" more than they want no virus spread.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Because we are making a mistake. If we kept it up through July or August, as kids down to 12 get vaccinated, this could be over. Instead, we are choosing the path where this persists for years and we keep needing boosters, which will make people ask, "well if the vaccines work, why do we keep needing boosters?"

9. Ssmiff

Didn't matter what people wanted a year ago. Why does it now?

10. fl0at_

There's a vaccine now, and hospitals aren't as full.

You may have heard some of these things.

SetVol13 likes this.
  11. Ssmiff

That's the path we were headed when the virus was at its peak, during mask mandates and limiting people from outdoor events.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

we don't need to wipe down surfaces. we know it's not transmitted that way.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

We didn't do what was needed a year ago, either. That's the myth. When did Tennessee mandate masks? Never. It was up to local governments to issue them. And even where they were, they were unevenly enforced, and very unevenly observed at all. That's just an example, many places were like that. People in my apartment building would sporadically throw parties, the young people started going back out by April or May, etc. We never collectively did anything at the same time.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

enough people won't get vaccinated to keep it going at low levels. i'm not sure that the boosters are really needed via the science, but we shall see.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

But you put vaccines on top of that, and the R0 falls low enough that it will burn out. By choosing it as an either/or, it may not fall far enough.

16. Ssmiff

You said the reason was people wanted freedom more than worry about spreading a virus.
    So the real reason is the 10% who have had a vaccinne and the icus at 5% less capacity. Got it.

17. fl0at_

You do need to wipe down surfaces. It is transmitted that way. It's not the leading cause of transmission. It's in the 5%, that then leads to the 95%.

18. fl0at_

Nope, the reason is freedom more than they want no spread. Otherwise, they'd be willing to wait until vaccinations percentages were in the 70s.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

20. fl0at_