COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I have no problem calling the staunch anti-vaxxers child abusers, and have lost several friends over it, but it’s okay because I don’t want to be friends with child abusers anyway. I just feel real bad for their children.

Turns out elected representatives in Tennessee include a large number of child abusers in their ranks. The COVID vaccine is one thing. I don’t agree with the mindset because it’s misguided, short-sighted, and flat-out wrong but the vaccine is brand new, and I can at least understand how people might be uncomfortable with that. I cannot, however, excuse piece of shit morons like Mark Pody and Janice Bowling using it to rile up the dumbest parts of the base for something that is going to greatly affect the general population

SetVol13 and utvol0427 like this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I would think it would be higher than that. Approximately 38% are fully vaccinated. Now some of those may also have had COVID, but you would think there is some number of people who had it and thus don't think they should get vaccinated. So I'd guess 5o%, maybe even more than that. But less than 70% or transmission would be flatter I would think. But then again, with delta variant it may be that the bar is much higher than 70%. more like 80% or more. Because there is some loss in efficacy of older antibodies and the vaccine with that.

Daddy Gee and emainvol like this.
  3. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Antibody resistant variants combined with waning immune response from those who have had it are giving those numbers less and less relevance. But yeah, I’d be surprised if 20-30% of the state didn’t have it at one point or another

4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

How long until the vaccine's get full approval and move beyond the emergency authorization? Not that I think it will make much of a difference as the idiots will move the goal post to some other reason they refuse to get vaccinated.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I want to say it would be around November, if all goes to schedule (which it should)

6. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

It’s also a moving bar if more infectious variants emerge.

7. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Which they will almost certainly continue to do if more people don’t get vaccinated.

We are stuck in a really dumb feedback loop

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

once again, just like with climate change stuff.

emainvol and NorrisAlan like this.
  9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I am skeptical of their 40% of new cases are people that have been vaccinated when we are seeing a 2% clip here.

Also, the notion you are more resistant after having gotten it is an interesting academic research (and I can believe it is true pretty easily), but has zero applicability in the real world.

11. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

The article states:

So, only 0.0578% of vaccinated people got infected? That's well within the margin of effectiveness of the vaccine. The 40% is a dumb take, since, if there were only 3 people infected, and 2/3rds were vaccinated, we could say "66% of new cases were people vaccinated!" And that would be true.

But the important thing is that only 0.0578% of vaccinated people were infected.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

no doubt, if you controlled for risk factors the difference would drop dramatically. because the most vulnerable who caught covid died and can't be infected. Major caveat.

13. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Mentioned it in another thread, but lots of y'all would really enjoy reading The Premonition if you have not.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

is this the one that highlights how frighteningly political the CDC is? Which is probably true of every entity in the executive branch.

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yes, but it explains how it got that way and how there was basically a group of half a dozen or so people that were light years ahead of everyone on COVID trying to get stuff done. It's a really good read. Knocked it out in 3 days on vacation last week. It's Michael Lewis so it's entertaining.

18. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Around 36k new cases yesterday. This is so stupid.

19. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Yeah we are squarely back on the wrong track. I know a lot of businesses are “returning to office” over the next couple months, have to imagine that’s going to change

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not nearly enough fully vaccinated people. I have started wearing a mask in public spaces indoors again. I know the CDC's guidance is that I don't have to, but I don't think they are being responsive to the science fast enough. Israel has a higher vaccination rate and also has climbing cases and has gone back to masks indoors.

Daddy Gee likes this.