COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Folks say it hits different.

2. fl0at_

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Friend got a third, knocked him for a loop for two days

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

So far just a sore arm. Bout 9 hours into it right now.

5. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

That was when my second Moderna dose started hitting me. 9-10 hours after getting it.

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

First one got me a just a little bit. Second one didn’t faze me at all. This feels like the second.

Sore arm excluded of course. I almost always have a sore arm after any shot though, some just more that others.

IP likes this.
  7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Definitely feeling some effects this morning. Mostly body aches, but not bad. Feels like I’m between 85-90% maybe.

IP and fl0at_ like this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

we are back in a position where it folks get vaccinated and keep up testing/isolating positives, we can get control of this thing. the vaccines work well enough on delta. if we can get the super majority of 5-12's vaxed and keep getting new adults, we can make this an uncommon thing.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  9. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

So you're saying we're [uck fay]ed?

NorrisAlan likes this.
  10. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I absolutely love this table - such an excellent example of Simpson’s paradox. The vaccine is incredibly effective at reducing severe COVID for any age group - but if you roll up all the age groups and just report that it doesn’t look so hot. It’s an example of why you have to be very careful with a single stat.

95BB6B1B-ABC1-437B-9D33-5C4A383A0313.png

fl0at_ likes this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Vaccines for 5-11 year olds in early November. That means 95% of the US population is now eligible for a COVID vaccine.

12. fl0at_

We're only 57% fully vaccinated in the US. That's 190,000,000 / 333,333,333. There are 28 million kids. We'll see... maybe 35-40% of them vaccinated.

So that means that this release will get us to: 60% fully vaccinated.

Rejoice, for our salvation is not here.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

But our salvation is 95% available!

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The wife and I are ify on the kids. Not saying we're against it, just that we're not going to rush to be the first ones in line.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

He's vaccinated. I still don't see what this article, or your post, has to do with young boys, specifically. I don't think anyone has claimed that the risk of myocarditis is higher for the vaccine than for infection in general. The original message was specific to young boys.

Sanjay Gupta did the same thing during his interview with Joe Rogan. Rogan asked about young boys specifically, and Gupta responded citing data about people in general, not specific to young boys.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I know most people focused on the ivermectin piece of Joe Rogan's interview with Sanjay Gupta, and how CNN lied about it, but the part that I found most interesting was the part about vaccinating children.

Gupta makes the claim that he doesn't see an urgent need for himself to get the booster. Basically stated studies show that he, as a lower 50's, healthy man, is unlikely to get a breakthrough infection and even less likely to be hospitalized or die as a result, even if he does have a breakthrough. He said he's not worried about it because the chances are very low.

Rogan took his words and applied it to children, and Gupta pretended for 5 minutes that he didn't understand what Rogan was saying.

In my mind, the biggest, and maybe only reason for vaccinating younger kids (without pre-existing conditions) is to prevent spread of the disease itself. It's not about protecting individual kids with individual shots, but more about protecting the population by getting everyone vaccinated.

And I can get on board with that, but if we are confident we won't reach 95% or whatever of vaccinated people in the country, then does vaccinating the kids even make a difference with preventing the spread? And if it's not preventing the spread, then is it worth doing?

I also wonder how the rest of the world plays into this. If 95% of the US gets vaccinated, but 50% of the world remains unvaccinated (no idea what actual numbers are), would it even matter that we got to 95%?

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I didn't realize 17 year olds were "young boys." Seems like the oldest possible age a man could call someone a "boy" without being intentionally insulting.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

You are a bad faith argument machine.

19. fl0at_

You think a couple weeks or months difference is going to bring out that which was not found in trials?

It's really either do or don't.

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Truth be told, we're probably leaning towards no because we don't see the risk to them being high enough to take it. The main reason she and I took it was to be able to participate in society if it came to that. We don't see the need for them to anytime soon.

We'll check with our pediatrician and see what she says, but as of now, we're leaning no.