COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Let me put it to you differently. If someone had the power to stop something bad from happening, and didn't, would you think they are a piece of shit?

See, I think if someone has the power to stop something, and doesn't, they are a piece of shit.

Deity. Person. Master plan. Whatever.

Power to stop it. Don't. Piece of shit. Very linear.

utvol0427 likes this.
  2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

3. fl0at_

You are incapable of understanding that others feel for people that are not their own.

I don't worry that my kid will be harmed. I don't much worry that any kids will be harmed.

I worry for the people that kids will transmit to.

And the fact that you've bought this "I'm the center of the universe" mentality hook line and sinker that life in the US has afforded you matters not to me. I also don't want you harmed. Though I'm less concerned for you, specifically, as you'll be fine.

4. fl0at_

Correct. That's my opinion. One shared by many, about people. But some how not about the actual power.

5. fl0at_

I didn't read past the first line because the concern and risk is not the same.

The concern for the unvaccinated is that they'll spread it. The concern is not that the vaccinated will spread it, but that they'll succumb.

The concerns are not the same. The risk may be. But not the concern.

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

So much bs in your post. Glad you have a great compassion for others, obvious by your comments about not caring what happens to unvaxed. Excuse me now as I have to get back to the universe i claimed to be the center of, Pruitt.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Does it, though? It keeps people from going to the hospital, for the most part but it's still spreading

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

10. Ssmiff

I wonder, and I repeat wonder, where we would be if the majority of us got covid in the first 6 months of the virus.
    Has always seemed inevitable to me that we would all get a variation of it, just as we all get colds, flu and other bugs, at some point.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Even more people would have died. That first 6 months was crazy already, and it would have completely overwhelmed the health system to such an extent it would have been pure carnage.

Daddy Gee and utvol0427 like this.
  12. fl0at_

My compassion ends at the ability to act and the choice not to. So you are correct, I have none for the unvaccinated.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

But there is some theoretical point in time for which the cumulative deaths will be greater in the prolonged, muzzled pandemic than in a punctuated, intense pandemic that smothers out the infection. Not saying it is preferable, just there is some theoretical point where 2% of the planet dying in 2020 becomes less than 2% of infected dying over a pandemic lasting, I don't know, decades.

14. fl0at_

We are less than 60% of the country vaccinated. Even low spread herd immunity requires 70%. This thing is somewhere in the 90%.

Daddy Gee likes this.
  15. fl0at_

And will continue to do so unless everyone gets vaccinated. Not 70%. Not 80. Maybe not even 90.

Nobody is at those levels, anywhere.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Do you ever get the feeling that we have the same conversation every month or two about this? That until vaccination rate reaches the correct threshold for this pathogen's R0, the vaccine will not stop spread? It's Ground Hog Day.

17. Ssmiff

Yes it was and you are right. Question is, and again I'm just having a discussion, would we have been well thru it and deaths been about the same by now as it's been proven again natural immunity is a better defense than the vaccine anyway.
    Maybe we would be back to more heart attacks, strokes and cancer deaths instead of covid.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

So less than 60% vaccinated, how many unvaccinated covid survivors are there? What would you get if you add those two together?

I'm not trying to argue or play stupid games, I'm legitimately asking if that would be around the 70% needed for low spread herd immunity

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I do wonder how many that have been infected aren't getting vaccinated.

20. Ssmiff

the number of vaccinated, those who tested positive for covid and those who had it especially early on and didn't know it, along with asymptomatic has to be up near 80%. Additionally, during the peak, I heard about many families who thought they may have had it and they all just quarantined and didn't get tested.