COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, and history shows that even if this were a more deadly pathogen, those measures just are not effective. You'd be better off organizing mandatory quarantines for arrivals. People will find a way to cheat the bans in desperation. And even if that were not true, it is already out, as you said. National level bans just aren't effective.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

So how "bad" is the actual variant? Is it killing people at a higher rate? More transmissible? I've not seen anything really.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's all yet to be determined. Just spitballing, but probably not killing people at a higher rate than delta and probably more transmissible than the others.

Partly I base this on a report that symptoms do not include coughing and/or loss of taste/smell as often, which would suggest it is not attacking the respiratory system as severely and partly I base it on the fact that if it is outcompeting the other variants it is likely less physically noticeable which allows it more opportunity to spread. This does not minimize it as a threat, just characterizes the situation as not necessarily worse than before.

JayVols and CardinalVol like this.
  4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Makes sense. I'd not seen anything saying one way or other.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I expect we will have some sort of indication from the pros this week or next, since they are identifying cases of it at a good clip.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Early cases have been more mild than the delta according to what ive read.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

So far it's been mild and younger males being hit the hardest with it.

Seems like tiredness and headache being the two most common symptoms with it.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Shit I’ve had it for 20 years then

JayVols, Ssmiff, lumberjack4 and 4 others like this.
  9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Known causes: Marriage and children

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

If it is truly mild and confers immunity against the other strains, maybe we should just keep doing what we are doing to limit COVID and let that strain become dominant?

justingroves likes this.
  11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Isn't that how variants usually work?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

That tends to be the trend, but it isn't a hard and fast rule. Think of it as a Butch Jones-coached virus. It can find 9 win seasons despite generally gutting the COVID program over time.

justingroves likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is correct, but getting a clear picture and then communicating it is vitally important. And when (not if, imo) we see that omicron is already here in numbers we should lift the travel restrictions. They're too late and not that effective if we are not testing and quarantining as a standard.

14. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I've seen the same as you guys on Omicron. Even more transmissible, but so far less severe. Doesn't mean there's no risk, but better than more contagious & deadly.

I think the freak out has been over the number of mutations in the spike protien that allows it to enter cells. Current vaccines target those spike proteins to prevent them from being able to effectively enter cells & reproduce. I think fear that this variant could evade current vaccines was a big factor in the panic. That also poses a threat against natural immunity possibly allowing for more reinfections.

Personally, it worries me mainly for the elderly & immunocompromised. I'm in one of those groups, and I think we've been picked on by this virus enough already. In fact we all have. I'm still limiting going out in public. Still attending church online, not going into stores, not allowing any unvaccinated folks into my home, etc. I have made 2 exceptions. I went to Volguy's small 50th birthday celebration for around an hour last week (N-95 masked the whole time... HAPPY BIRTHDAY, again, BUDDY!) and I go to an aquatic center for exercise. I am N-95 masked going in & getting ready. I only take my mask off an instant before jumping in & put it back on as soon as I dry my face getting out. It's a very large area & I always stay away from others. While in the pool, I breathe through a snorkel. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Surely this stuff is going to have to mutate into less lethal forms at some point if it wants to survive. Your thoughts on that would be appreciated, IP.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Realistically, it won't become so mild as to be a nonthreat to the immunocompromised. But as we collectively have more herd immunity through exposure and vaccines, hopefully it goes down in circulation to the point of it not being something you are likely to encounter. I don't know man, it is not a great situation and won't fade for folks immunocompromised any time soon. But hang tight, because who knows? I wouldn't have thought we would get vaccines so quick. Or that monoclonal antibodies would be a thing.

16. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

You're that black rain cloud that follows the bad luck kid everywhere....

Seriously, thanks for your take. The hermit life it is...

17. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I could be wrong and it all clears up. I'm just giving you my opinion, and I am not an expert.

19. chef65

chef65 Contributor

I’m done with lockdowns. No one can force the vaccine into your body, great, you have autonomy, live and embrace stupidity and don’t expect admittance into our health system.

Our doctors and nursers don’t deserve to suffer because of your inability to account for reality. Die in a ditch like a “man.”

That’s the only place we should ask for vaccine status, the hospital and clinic.

JayVols likes this.
  20. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I'm boosted and the kid is doubled as of today, so that's that. Ain't no more I can contribute.

NorrisAlan and JayVols like this.