COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I don't see our hospital system surviving, if this is how things will be from now on, where we face COVID + flu, or COVID then flu... it has been demoralizing for a lot of people.

Daddy Gee likes this.
  3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Yeah I’ve already got the flu shot early September and still got a few more years on the TDAP.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It will survive.

even with the recent surge it was dramatically a lot less in the hospital for severe covid and a lot of the patients in the hospital with covid had mild or no symptoms and just tested positive while already in the hospital.

5. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Preventing infection as in fully? Sure. Significantly reducing risk - it does for at least 6 months it seems. Is that a short period? Long enough but it’d great if it were even longer.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Aren't there increasingly effective treatment options / therapeutics available or coming soon?

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Starts to wane after two months and accelerates in weakening after 4 months. to basically only being 20% effective of preventing infection after 5-7 months.

I think that's a short period.

8. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Are they FDA approved? Because I was told that if it’s not FDA approved then they are basically just using humans as guinea pigs and something something

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm no expert on FDA approvals, but I don't think that's an accurate representation of what it means when something isn't FDA approved.

If I remember correctly, they are awaiting FDA approval, but the data submitted suggests that they are very effective in basically eliminating death from COVID, if caught early enough.

10. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Hence the sarcasm

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I edited my post, just FYI.

I didn't catch the sarcasm.

FDA approved for a vaccine is a bit different than FDA approved for a pill/drug. I'm not sure the sarcasm is warranted here.

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

it means they haven't paid the cash to the man more than any other reason. Costs to bring a product and gain FDA requirements can be absurd. As in the billions for a single drug. You can't tell me there aren't better options or ideas out there, outside the realm of the big pharma who can pay that type of money.

justingroves likes this.
  13. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I’d venture a guess that the goalpost movers talking about “no FDA approval” as a reason they wouldn’t get the vaccine before it was approved, until the vast majority of them came up with some other reason after it was approved, aren’t well-versed in the process for FDA approval on either vaccines or therapeutics.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't know any of those people, aside from my mother, who, having formerly worked with clinical trials, is very familiar with the process for FDA approvals and did not come up with some other reason after it was approved.

15. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Consider yourself lucky. I know several personally and have seen enough out there in social media to know they aren’t as small a group as you would think

Hell, my FiLs wife is one of those straight up “the vaccine is genocide” people

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  16. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

That crowd wasn't too worried about FDA approval when they were using the livestock dosage of ivermectin.

NorrisAlan and emainvol like this.
  17. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

These men are idiots, lumberjack4, there’s nothing to be afraid of

18. TennTradition

That seems like vaccinated-population statistics vs full population statistics (that is, weighted elderly).

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    emainvol and IP like this.
  19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

20. TennTradition