COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

According to this, this information was known for awhile but not published or reported on much. People want lab leak stories. That's what gets the big coverage. You don't see "raccoon dog genetic material" making the front pages. People WANT someone to blame. Can't get satisfaction out of spillover.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

It seems so. Based on the raccoon dog genetic material they are finding, and it was previously known that raccoon dogs carry coronaviruses like what became COVID-19. (like the bats and pangolins).

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

But this doesn't prove anything. It just fits the market hypothesis.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Why was bat the first thing mentioned instead of a raccoon dog?

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Because bats and humans were known to be crossing paths more often. Both are potential reservoirs. And pangolins.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Barring we find out it was an intentional, weaponized release from a lab, what is the big hang up on where it originated? I mean, for the scientists it is important to find out where it came from and how it got out, but for you and me, what is the reasoning for so much energy being spent on it?

To me it is like trying to get to the bottom of where to ice cream was bought; Walmart or Kroger.

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Because we sat around in our houses being told not to go places and otherwise had our lives interrupted and altered by it. People are always going to want their pound of flesh for having their lives knocked off course

8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I think he means the timing of article's publication.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

The article seems to indicate that the scientist spoke up about this work that is being published, while there was hub-bub about DOE's recent investigation concluding that a lab leak was most likely, at low confidence. They bring it up in the story.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I would say this dude is saying he thinks a natural spillover is most likely, but also has low confidence.

11. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

If it was a lab leak, there are a lot of questions that will need to be answered.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

See, I feel like people assume nefarious activity when if it was a lab leak, it is still an accident and doesn't require any engineering, just like the natural spillover doesn't. If there was engineering, it wasn't very effective.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

If JQK accidentally gets lepto from a sample at work and spreads somehow, it didn't require anything beyond some protocol breakdown.

14. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I’m not assuming anything nefarious at all. If it was a lab leak, even if it’s the most benign scenario whatever that may be, there are still a lot of questions that need to be answered.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

For the purposes of that lab, they must ask those questions as if it were a leak. I believe there is also a national reassessment of labs of that nature. There is no avoiding those questions.

16. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Figure out what happened. Fix it if caused by "man". Mitigate it if caused "in the wild".

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I wouldn’t kick the engineering too hard. Pretty impressive they worked out basically the most contagious virus known to humans, while at the same time doesn’t seem to even spread in bats.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Oh lord. They hardly ever tell us if a sample is a lepto suspect

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I ran into that a time or two, that is what made me think of it. "Oh, by the way..."

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

We know it happens in the wild because of SARS and MERS. That is why that lab is there doing what it is doing. This was a better spreading SARS.