Cryptocurrency

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by reVOLt, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I got to the signup page feomy phone but then got a "500 something went wrong" message after I put my info in. I'll keep trying.
    If I'm able to get in, one of you please walk me thru the early stages like I'm a first grader if you have the time. I'm an old man that took Fortran in college and spent a month trying to make a loop on the screen, so I am 110% ignorant of anything y'all are talking about.

reVOLt likes this.
  2. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

I'm going to get the Ledger Blue when they're available again... I like the Ledger Nano, but I've read they only hold 4 coins.

Right now, I've created Linux Virtual Machines per coin, transferred my coins to that VM, backed up the wallet and the VM.... Moved them to external media and then deleted the machine.

Only did that for my long term holds, the others I'm just leaving on my computer or an online wallet.

Do not leave coins on the exchanges if you aren't going to trade (I'm still paranoid due to Mt Gox, saw that shit go down live).

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Which online wallet should I use? Coinbase seems good for my ETH and BTC. Looked at Blockchain, but it doesn’t seem to have support for most of the coins I own. I’ve probably got a dozen or so types now.

4. Ssmiff

I am now the proud owner of 5 coins for free. Then I started reading and skimming the site and felt an anxiety attack coming. May as well be Japanese. Just tell me when I'm loaded.

reVOLt likes this.
  5. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

• BTC - (and variants, eg Bitcoin Cash, Gold, Diamond, etc) I use Core... I know it downloads the whole damn blockchain, but it's what I started off with and most comfortable. If core isn't available, then I just use whatever they tell me to default to on the variant
    • ETH - use this for trading on other exchanges, not sure if I'm going to hold long term, so I'd just leave on CB and put in the vault if your going to hold for a while
    • ADA, Verge, Stellar - Using standard wallets on the VMs; I'm trying to use all wallets on Linux, but some of them are just plain funky (and I can't get them to compile) and I'm defaulting to my Mac on the ones I can't get to run on Linux.
    • Ether Tokens - Any weird tokens you've collected, I'd probably use "MyEtherWallet"... just make sure you turn on 2FA
    • Ripple - I'm using Gatehub

I like the Exodus wallet (https://www.exodus.io/) but haven't done enough research yet to see how safe it is. On my to-do list.

On those EtherTokens, if you've collected any, I'd probably exchange them for something else unless you really believe in the project.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Do people actually use these coins for their purpose of cash transfers/commerce or is it just a big tulip situation?

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Some treat them almost like a private stock in the company, that is publicly traded.

8. fl0at_

I’ll give you a $5 Starbucks card for all 5.

9. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

I think I'm going to create a TulipCoin, just for purchasing flowers, going to be huge... Who's in?

10. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

@kptvol check out the Storm coin... Like their board of advisors.

It's my "I get to retire" coin if it moons.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

BitTulip might take off.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

or BitBulb.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Already at 12 cents. How high you think it can go?

14. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

I didn't think Ripple would hit $1 until mid-2018 and it's sitting at $2 already.

I'm somewhat speculating on this one, but the board of advisors includes the CEO of Bittrex and Storm isn't trading there yet.

Bittrex hasn't been accepting new accounts and they're supposed to start again this Monday... Nothing has been announced but I'm banking on then getting listed.

They also just launched their Android app, so they're actually rolling out technology. Their plan is to reward micro tasks and they're tied into mechanical turk on Amazon.

So, all the components are there... They need to focus on their brand and user experience... I could see it going to a couple of bucks this year if the stars align.

Now, if they get listed on Binance and one of the pump groups hits them, then who knows. This is a long term hold for me for now.

15. Ssmiff

Wonder how my ez coins are doing

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah, but even if it gets to $3 you are looking at making around 24k for every 1000 you invest. So I don’t know if that’s going to get you to retirement. Not exactly a bad return, though.

17. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

I've flung myself from my basement window... Sprained an ankle.

18. fl0at_

Now is the time to buy!

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod