Cryptocurrency

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by reVOLt, Dec 15, 2017.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Weird how really wealthy people with brains make a lot of money.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah, but the average joe trying to ride their VC coattails probably couldn’t make it through the dozen or so failures I bet they had between Facebook and bitcoin.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’ve been trying to read a little about this, and I don’t think there’s anything on earth that confuses me more

kmf600 likes this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed. They're bright and well positioned. Few are even one of those.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That’s how you know it’s good.

InVolNerable likes this.
  6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

They were only really public about one. And put a lot of their Facebook settlement in it.

And it seemed like a bad idea then. It seems like a bad idea now, to leave it in cryptocurrency.

7. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Pretty much what I’m doing. Most do it on Coinbase or Bittrex

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Look at GDAX. It is an exchange run by Coinbase. You can do all the same buying and selling activities (a tad more complicated) but for some reason if you work through GDAX the fees are quite a bit smaller.

9. fl0at_

That’s the twins’ exchange.

10. NashVol11

Thanks, I’ll check it out

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Do any of you all play around with day trading?

I think it’d be fun to play around with but i also have no clue on any of it.

12. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

The winklevi run Gemini.

13. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I'm currently doing it. I've got a small pot and have been having fun. I pretty much trade straight technicals and am trying to set up a bit trader using their API. Just deposit a small pot and go to town and potentially lose it all.

14. fl0at_

I had a long response on this, but I closed the window because I'm an idiot. At any rate, yea. If you do it on a margin account, you need a minimum $25k, or stay inside your 3 trades per running 5 days. If you don't open a margin account, you are good.

It's gambling, not investing, so be prepared to lose big. You can win big too, but an example of losing is a co-worker went heavily into DRYS several months ago, and the company has since undergone a series of reverse splits. He now has 2 shares in the company, each share "worth" about $8,600 of his dollars, and the company is trading at: $3.46, so... he down $17k, and DRYS ain't coming back up.

I play in more reputable stocks, but lately I've been sinking a thousand in some that I probably shouldn't: Windstream (terrible company), Pier 1 (not sure why they exist still).

But buy 1,000 shares at $2/$3 and get out as soon as it moves up $0.08-$0.10. Rinse repeat.

Gotta be disciplined, though. Don't chase a bad loss with a worse loss. Be willing to lose whatever it is you have in there, forever.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

So like etrades or something like that and just look at it as on line gambling.

I might throw a thousand dollars in an account and see how it goes.

16. fl0at_

Do TD Ameritrade. Same fee as ETrade, but no account minimum - ETrade has a $500 minimum. Can usually get some kind of bonus based on how much you move over.

If you get really in to it, and get up to about $10k, there is a much cheaper alternative called Interactive Brokers, but you need to put some miles on your account before you move to something like that.

Volst53 likes this.
  17. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

Tell me more about technicals and what you plan to do with the API.

18. NashVol11

Like XMR? I guess DASH and maybe XVG too

19. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

Hmm, found a pump/dump group over the holidays. https://discord.gg/2bqVj2b ... using an exchange in Hong Kong to do it. Never even thought that that might exist, guess I'm naive.

20. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Man I tried to get on the Ripple train @ .80, but was having trouble getting verified and it exploded...finally got in a little under $2 once it settled back down for the long holiday weekend.

I have about 500 XRP, 550 XLM, and 400 XVG.... hoping 2018 pays off for this small investment....

XVG is about .15 right now. Good flyer to take with this intrigue into the privacy coins.

XRP still hovering right just under $2....still money to be made there...could get a big bump if CoinBase adds in in the next week or so as rumored.