D3 Team vs. High School Team

Discussion in 'Sports' started by CardinalVol, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The basketball comparison is completely different from the football one.

2. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I'm not, but I have noticed that, in message boards, the "Sixers would beat them by 40" guys get real high and mighty. But they're more wrong that the UK beats them guys. And, to be clear, UK does (not this year, but in a peak year) beat the worst NBA team about a time out of ten, and definitely so by college rules.

The extent that the "next level beats lower level by 50" crowd believes that they are absolutely correct and above reproach is silly. College baseball teams beat pro baseball teams in scrimmages all the time. The 1984 olympic basketball team beat a team of NBA players in the one game they played. It's on youtube. The 1988 olympic team did the same. It's also on youtube.

Why wouldn't Oak Hill beat a power 5 team if everybody on their team is better than the guys on the power 5 team? And, to be clear, if all five Oak Hill guys are going to UNC, Duke, Cuse, Louisville, UK, et al, then they are all better than every single guy on the worst power 5 team maybe save one straggler.

Mizz is the worst power 5 team this year. So I picked them.

3. kidbourbon

I'm not, but I have noticed that, in message boards, the "Sixers would beat them by 40" guys get real high and mighty. But they're more wrong that the UK beats them guys. And, to be clear, UK does (not this year, but in a peak year) beat the worst NBA team about a time out of ten, and definitely so by college rules.

The extent that the "next level beats lower level by 50" crowd believes that they are absolutely correct and above reproach is silly. College baseball teams beat pro baseball teams in scrimmages all the time. The 1984 olympic basketball team beat a team of NBA players in the one game they played. It's on youtube. The 1988 olympic team did the same. It's also on youtube.

Why wouldn't Oak Hill beat a power 5 team if everybody on their team is better than the guys on the power 5 team? And, to be clear, if all five Oak Hill guys are going to UNC, Duke, Cuse, Louisville, UK, et al, then they are all better than every single guy on the worst power 5 team maybe save one straggler.

Mizz is the worst power 5 team this year. So I picked them.

4. kidbourbon

Yes, but the football comparison is closer than the "2008 Detroit Lions beat the 2008 Florida Gators by 60 and bones are broke everywhere with blood gushing" guys would have you believe. And those guys are all over the internet.

The "NFL teams have grown damn men" argument is dogtrash. If it weren't dogtrash, then why is it that every rookie running back and his [dadgum] cousin explodes on the scene his first year and is washed up by 27?

The argument that has merit is just that the NFL team is deeper. But how deep are we talking here?

5. kidbourbon

But, yes, the basketball comparison is certainly closer. When UK had Anthony Davis as a true freshman, he would have been the best player on the floor against half the teams in the NBA. And in a game of 5 on 5 that matters, and especially when the games are as short as basketball games are (especially college rules).

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You're bringing a lot of extra stuff into this.

Back on topic: while I think the best high school football team beats the average D3 team, I think the strength and physicality of a top 15-20 D3 school is too much for the best high school team to handle, even if they do boast an athleticism advantage at a few positions.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The lines of scrimmage is where age matters in football and that's why a college team couldn't beat an NFL team.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

There were roughly 130 NCAA D-1 teams last year. They were alotted at max 85 scholarships. That's 11,050 players.

There are 32 NFL teams. They have 53 on their rosters. That's 1,196 players. That's the other part. You are whittling down to the best of the best.

Now, put the All-SEC or All-American team against and NFL team, and it would be much closer. But the talent gap accross the board is too wide.

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Each NFL team is, in some ways, a college all-star team.

10. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

New Orleans was an 8 seed last season and they're very likely to miss the playoffs this year with a 22 year old Davis.

11. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

The injury thing is exaggerated, but the NFL team would absolutely win by 60.

12. NashVol11

I think you're overestimating how loaded these high school teams are. They normally have one guy who can come in and immediately be a stud (Harry Giles for Oak Hill, though he's hurt), then a few Power 5-level guys but not instant-impact ones. Your average #60 player in the nation or whatever isn't going to show up at Missouri and immediately be their second-best player. Oak Hill may have the best player on the floor, but Missouri probably has the next few. And keep in mind, the best player on the floor may look like this:

[​IMG]

13. kidbourbon

No, no they wouldn't.

14. kidbourbon

I might be overestimating your familiarity with Oak Hill Academy.

15. kidbourbon

Look it up yourself. Go through past starting fives. Compare against starting fives of worst power 5 team. Report back how I was right.

Also report back that you allowed someone to kick you right square in the **** on account of you saying that one of the worst NFL teams in the history of the sport would beat one of the best college football teams in history by 60. Report to all how the swift square kick was completely warranted on account of you saying something even Mike Greenberg might conclude was not well thought out.

16. kidbourbon

So you're saying that 23 year olds dont' start on the lines in the NFL right out of college?

17. kidbourbon

I'll bring in what I damn well please.

18. kidbourbon

How many games did I say that UK would win out of ten against the absolutely worst team in the NBA? Reread, back-extrapolate, compare with Davis' rookie season if you like, and then kindly tell me what your point here is.

19. NashVol11

Still going on about a team that lost to Ole Miss at home being "one of the best teams in history" and then lecturing me on what is and isn't well-thought out. Never change, KB

20. kidbourbon

I won't. And best of luck as you strive upwards towards Greenberg level.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-urban-meyer-florida-20140616-story.html*

*Let the record reflect that I had no idea of Meyer's claim.**
    **Also, let the record reflect that I agree with him despite my deep deep loathing of the man.