Dennis Dodd on Butch to Purdue

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by MaconVol, Dec 2, 2016.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'll serve on his Anti-immigrant Police Force?

Work with me here.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

And people say global Utopianism will never be achieved, and here it is, in a simple 2-step process.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

4. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Dodd mentioned it on 104.5 in Nashville this morning.

I took it as he had heard they had talked. He never rally implied that they were going forward or ongoing in any way.

5. Beechervol

Jones then goes home.

Our hope is restored!

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Would need gruden, and make bama pay for it.

7. Beechervol

Deport Saban to ole Mexico and Jones goes to Bama.

Making life Great again!

8. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

I don't think Fleck would take that job.

9. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

Dan Dakich seems to think Brohm to Purdue.

10. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

I saw Pete Thamel say that Purdue wants Fleck or Brohm, but since neither are really doing real talks until after this weekend, it is hurting Purdue's chances. Brohm probably gonna be in play at Cincy once they fire Tubbs. That firing should happen on the 7th when his buyout cuts in half. Fleck is starting to gain more traction for bigger jobs.

11. Beechervol

Cincy players clapped when jones told them he had made it to the big leagues.

They would take him back in a heartbeat.

12. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I'll pack his bags and send him on his way back home.

13. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

Good info. Yea, I do not think Brohm would take a dead end job like Purdue.

14. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I'd be surprised if he wanted to go back there.

15. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Part of me feels like this whole Butch to Purdue thing is nothing more than attention whoring. He seems like the kind of guy who would do something like this purely out of spite for the personal gratification being able to say "see, someone else wants me." He knows the fan base is unhappy as well as what he has returning next year. There's no denying this year was a bust and unless major development is made in the off season next year isn't going to any better.

16. LittleDTO

LittleDTO New Member

Of course Butch's agent is going to ask about the interest from other schools. It's called leverage. He isn't gonna seriously look around if he is also asking for an extension and raise. It's all about creating a "market" for the coach. Armstrong is a good agent, learned from the best.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I would tell him straight to his face that if his client wants to leave, then by all means go, we won't hold him back from his dreams. As for the extension and raise...

[​IMG]

18. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

What happens when Butchs agent asks Tennessee for a raise or extension after this season ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

whatever it is, is currently happening

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I've wondered if Butch's asking for an extension / raise was a natural and no-risk litmus test of his tenure at Tennessee, and which would dictate Armstrong's response - either to start casting a wider net of realistic landing spots, or to begin more earnest discussions with those others who he has already had preliminary conversations with, to this point.

Leverage works two ways (pun not intended, but I'll take it) - not only in discussions with TN, but everyone else, too. If it gets out that Butch asked and was refused for a raise and extension by TN, his ability to leverage interest with other prospects will take a sizable hit, but it may also show Jones' willingness (need?) to work with them on getting a deal done.

TN's response to Jones' request may very well tale the tale, and for all involved. If they say No, he's stupid to stay here, and if they say yes, he's stupid to continue looking to leave, at least in what would then be a pretty favorable climate. Giving him a raise + extension won't save him, but it will push his doomsday clock back a bit.