Do You Miss Anything About Life Without Internet/smart phones?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by ole_orange, Mar 7, 2012.

Tags:
  1. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Sure smartphones are the best thing since sliced bread and all, but sometimes I don't like the little things that technology has forced on us. The texts and emails never stop. The concept of everyone in my life (friends,parents, professors ect.) having access to me twenty four hours a day is kind of frustrating. Yes it is wonderful that we can communicate very efficiently and at speeds unheard of just a few years ago. I just hate how society expects a response instantly. Sometimes I wish I did not have to deal with this. Maybe some of you older guys don't share these thoughts and this is something that someone who grew up in the texting age only deals with...anyways I'm not feeling this North Carrick mattress right now and this random thought came to my head.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

As a teacher, yes. Kids with attention spans of goldfish constantly sneaking text messages and Twitter posts during class, generally lowering the collective IQ of the youngest generation. Then, you get the "I need my phone in case of emergency" line when you tell them to shut it off or take it from them. You should see the blank stares of indifference I get when I tell them that I managed to survive without my mom having the ability to call me in the classroom. Drives me crazy. I know it's a rite of passage to complain about the youth as an adult, but, I swear, this generation of kids has zero problem solving skills. When a bridge falls apart, they will be screwed.

3. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I would agree with that Unimane. My generation, myself included, focuses on a lot of trash. If it wasn't for the structure of sports in high school, lord knows what I would have done with all my free time. My dad talks about how enamored his generation was with the Moon landing and how it sparked a wide spread interest in science amongst the youth. We never really focused on stuff like that. We have Xbox, Facebook and YouTube to occupy our interests. My generation does not read enough books either.

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Unimane- I agree with the vast majority of your post. I deal with the exact same issues daily. One thing that I would add to/amend your post is that I would place a great deal of blame on the parents who call their kids when they know they are in class. Kids will get away with what they are allowed to get away with. If parents won't work in partnership with schools choosing to rather usurp the rules/authority of the schools, it is dang near impossible to expect their kids to respect/follow said rules. Parents are still the number one influence on children- good or bad.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I think the technology is awesome for the most part. Does anyone remember what it used to be like to make plane reservations or find a book in the library before these wonderful technologies? The efficiency to do any number of things is rather brilliant I think.

The problem is when these technologies are abused or underutilized. What I resent about the internet is that it has made anyone and everyone an expert just by a few clicks from google. To be an expert at something used to require a lot of painstaking work and there was indeed an "expert class" who we depended on for information on things we knew little or nothing about. (I obviously see the danger in "experts" as well, mind you). Anyway, there may be a little too much "democracy" to come out of the internet revolution. Glenn Reynolds' book "Army of Davids" would disagree with me on this point if you want a different opinion.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

No, 98% of the time.

The times I do are when I need to disconnect myself from the world for whatever reason and have issues. However, I have taught myself to do a much better job with it.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don't have an issue with it. It has an on and off button for when I don't want to deal with it.

8. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Sometimes I leave mine at home. People get mad.

9. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

No. I believe I'm young enough to not remember what the hell I did before any of that stuff.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I spend a lot more time on this site now that I have one. I'm not to the point where I cant put it down or anything.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I just turn it off when I feel like it. I'm not an ER doctor or anything.

12. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

It drives me crazy at times. Last summer I installed hardwood floors in my house. Getting rid of the carpet. When doing my oldest sons room, with his help, I had to take his phone or we never would have finished it. He feels that he has to answer every text, tweet or what else he gets on his phone at the exact moment it comes in. I came very close to shooting a nail in it with the nail gun. Right to the floor!

13. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

My day to day work in contracting would push me on the brink of suicide without the internet and other tech associated with it

14. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I work in a Classified Building so we aren't allowed to have cell phones or any storage devices with us. While I'm at work, I couldn't care less about not having it. Doesn't bother me at all. Our internet traffic is severely blocked so I don't even mess with it on our office computers. That doesn't bother me either. But as soon as I walk out the door, I'm anxious to get to my car and check stuff, send texts, etc. The ability to do so is what makes it so intriguing I guess. Volfanjo makes fun of me on a regular basis when we hang out because I'm always texting or browsing the interwebs with my phone.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

my work blocks everything pretty much so getting email on my phone was a godsend. i rarely if ever check my personal email from my computer. also anyone remember trying to meet up with a group (say vegas or a tailgate) without cell phones? i wonder how i ever did it.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Good point, droski. Meeting up with people is a lot more fluid than it used to be. Before, you had to have an exact plan and location, and being 15 minutes late could be disaster.