Dormady to Play

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by govols182, Oct 5, 2015.

1. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Pretty much this. Dormady would have to do a better job at keeping defenses honest than Worley did... which is a pretty low standard, but I'm guessing Dormady is closer to Worley than Dobbs as running threats go.

Or I guess the coaching staff could tailor the system to Dormady and get rid of all the slow-developing run plays...

[​IMG]

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This idea that you have to have a mobile QB to keep a defense honest is absurd. Worley sucked at throwing almost as bad as Dobbs. If Dormady comes out and starts hitting guys downfield, the run game will open up like nobody's business. Not that our coaches will know how to exploit it, but having a competent passer will definitely make everyone else's lives easier

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Indy calling the upset.

4. Butthole

Butthole Chieftain

what's his class schedule look like?

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's this absurd offensive scheme indy. What Butch and DeBord roll out there defies all coaching logic

6. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

How many times is his intended receiver not already squared up to him?

7. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

I would rather them just turn Dobbs loose running the ball, than to throw Dormady to the wolves. That being said, Dormady obviously needs some experience, but doing so in the middle of the hardest part of the schedule is dumb. We are predicated to running the ball, so go do that, and throw the screen passes and seam routes when needed. We also need to roll the pocket for Dobbs.

8. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

22-35 should be a single game stat line, not a total of 3 games.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He's probably sitting at an 80% or higher clip completion percentage over the middle.

10. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Good point, hard to hit them in stride when the only pass you throw is a wr screen or hitch.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Our run game was significantly worse last year with Worley. Not just the QB run part (obviously Dobbs is superior there), but Hurd. Our run game is 100% reliant on having a true option. Hopefully Dormady doesn't eliminate that.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm thinking the staff is fully expecting to be down 28 in the fourth, which is when Dormady will get the call. Not much danger at that point.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

There were half a dozen drops at least

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

There were a couple of balls thrown to Williams and Pearson down field that IIRC should have been catches.

15. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Yep. Pearson dropped a first down ball and so did Williams.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It sucked because Worley was not a threat to run or throw. We are expecting Dormady to be a threat in the passing game. I'm not sure why everyone is comparing him to Worley, with regards to their passing abilities.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Dormady can throw and is athletic enough to run around a little bit.

You're using common sense, something this staff doesn't have. Worley was a statue. Let's run the read option with him.

Dobbs is an athlete, let's throw it 45 times in his first start against a defense that was leading the SEC in interceptions (Mizzou 2013). Dobbs appears to have broken his throwing hand, let's keep throwing it! (Vandy 2013).

Let's roll sad sack Worley back out there in 2014. Let's not throw downfield, but continue to run the no read option. Oh, he's hurt. Let's let Peterman play.... oh he sucks (look at what he's doing at Pitt this season). Here comes Dobbs. The one game he loses as a starter he attempts 37 passes with a porous OL against a very good pass rush.

Now, Dobbs has an off season fully cemented as the starter. He should improve, right? No, he's only making one read then throwing it away or running. They aren't even running WR screens anymore. The plays are 6 yard hitches. Now, let's pay no attention to the passes he completes over the middle and continue to throw it outside the hashes. Now, since we're scared shitless as a staff, we tell Dobbs to quit running. Oh, well, it's all Dobbs, let's put in Dormady.

I can damn near guarantee they'll continue to run the same dumb shit and it won't work. Sure, Dormady may hit one or two deep to Williams or Malone, but the offensive design is broken.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

THIS

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We'll probably try the wide receiver lateral throwback pass to Dormady and get him crippled.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We'll switch to a power I, bench Hurd, and put our smallest, skinniest WR at RB.