Elon Musk is in “Bonkersland”?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, May 25, 2018.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Reality is with how some of these teenagers develop and dress, they can look 25. I can’t believe parents let them wear what they wear to games and surprised it’s allowed.
    I also wouldn’t let my daughter post bikini pics on IG but they do and get 100s of likes from random people all over the internet, including the boys and girls at school who see them everyday. Have a friend with 3 teenage daughters who is going thru some battles right now I’m glad I didn’t have to face.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

My daughter is 11 and we've already been fighting this for a year to some extent. Thankfully my wife is more adamant than I am that she's not going to do it so it makes it somewhat easier.

I dread when she's in high school.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

best bet is to hope she looks like you for a few years before blossoming into a lovely woman.

CardinalVol likes this.
  4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I understand this, but I still feel we aren't really on the precipice of making pedophilia ok and I don't see any real movement in this direction. The movement has always been in favor of consensual adults.

Oh, and I also have a teen daughter, but have happily avoided the issue of sexualization as she's more likely to stab a guy who steps over a line than the other direction.

Ssmiff likes this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

To me, the bedrock of all of these social things is personal self-determination and consent. A child can't consent to that kind of thing, so it will never be possible for such a thing to be anything but rape. Full stop. So I see no slippery slope into acceptability. I think the argument from the more social conservative person would be "but what about child surgery," but ultimately the consent there is with the parent/care giver just like any medical decision.

6. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I have to demonstrate some specific amount of harm to call something batshit that is objectively batshit?

No, I don’t. That’s silly.

7. HCKevinSteele

To me the fact that the term minor attracted persons even exists/ is in common use really says a lot.

zehr27 likes this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ah, so there is no specific harm you can identify. Sounds very serious.

9. HCKevinSteele

I didn’t say that.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

You haven't really said anything at all.

11. Unimane

If there's not actual existence, essentially, of harm, then why is it a problem and, therefore, "batshit"? I know you're operating from a perspective that transgenderism isn't a thing, but rather a mental disorder or something similar. However, this doesn't make it so, certainly not objectively. I would think it's a solid ground for me to stand upon to expect something which is called "batshit" must be so because it causes some kind of harm as a practice.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Google manipulated search results and had very suspicious selection as far as who got Election Day reminders.

justingroves likes this.
  13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I should have said tech since Google doesn’t dabble much in social media anymore. Facebook didn’t actively campaign for team blue, but pretty willingly got on board with the laptop Russian disinformation play.
    Previous Twitter ownership definitely worked against Trump.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Might want to check in on that laptop Russian disinformation story. While some or all of the contents might be real, the way this has unfolded appears to indeed be a Russian operation. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/na...biden-scandal-russian-fingerprints-rcna140240

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I know this was claimed by Trump for 2016, Cruz and other said it happened in 2020, and Kari Lake says it happened to her twice. I haven't seen much in the way beyond the claim.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I’m not sure what that article is even supposed to be saying. The laptop was real, but it’s ok that multiple intelligence experts claimed it was fake with zero knowledge of the evidence because this unconnected guy got caught lying three years later?

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

There was a study done on the matter. I’ll see if I can find it. NY Post was supposed to do an article on it, but squashed the story at the eleventh hour, presumably because Google reminded them how much of their traffic comes from them.

18. HCKevinSteele

There is evidence of harm, but it’s truly not relevant to what Groves said in the first place or what I said. Your last sentence is completely illogical. A belief must cause harm to be batshit? That thought is batshit.

You’re wrong thinking I’ll just call it all mental illness. I’m perfectly willing to believe there is some as of yet undiscovered scientific answer for why many people are transgender. But a great many are mentally ill and are just clinging on to changing genders as a fix. As of right now one side believes if you say you’re a girl then you are in fact a girl and should be able to play women’s sports, use women’s bathrooms, etc.

The other side isn’t batshit crazy.

19. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

20. Unimane

Yeah, mental illness or something similar, as I said. Of course, the reality of a society which actively works to harm people who are transgender could create damaged people is fairly obvious, too, in light of your assertion most are simply mentally ill. Studies have shown much of the higher rates of mental health issues are related to social determinants of health rather than innate mental health issues.

So, the "two sides" thing is way more complex than your oversimplified characterization, but harm still remains an important element of whether something is batshit crazy in this context. Without harm, transgenderism and the accompanying social factors is just something one would find weird, icky, or different, while for someone else it's simply normal or who they are.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2024