Elon Musk is in “Bonkersland”?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, May 25, 2018.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Kanye can then put it up on his own site to download for payment. Surprised more artists don't do that and just cut out the middle man and keep all of the money themselves.

And nobody is telling you you have to hate Kanye now. I thought it was a loaded statement to be saying just to make it sound like you would be a victim if Spotify were to remove him from their platform.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't know. You don't know what you don't know. I don't call my older colleagues idiots and tell them to "figure it out" when they struggle with a new software solution.

I get that. Again, the purpose of my post was not to highlight me and my listening situation, specifically. I have little doubt that if I want to hear Kanye, I'll be able to hear Kanye, even if it takes a little more work than I'd like to put in.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If that was a more lucrative way of doing it, don't you think all the artists would do it that way?

Spotify has 433 million users. A large percentage of people will be victims if Spotify removes him from their platform. You and IP made the assumption that I was only thinking about myself. There's nothing in the post that suggests that.

And again, you know what I meant. No one is literally saying, verbatim, "you are supposed to hate Kanye now." But he's in the process of being canceled, and rightfully so, to whatever extent. I'm just hoping that cancellation stops short of pulling all of his music from however many years ago, which is not really related to any of the antisemitism.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Because most artists sign with record labels and actually don't get much or any revenue from recordings. Record labels find it easier to sign blanket deals for their catalogs.

Lol, "victims." So topsy turvy. You know who are the real victims of antisemitism? Listeners like Indy.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

In what way am I topsy turvy?

You keep bringing it back to antisemitism, as if I've not adequately addressed that part already. Remember? Antisemitism is bad, mkay?

Kanye saying anti-Semitic stuff right now doesn't make his music from 10-20 years ago anti-Semitic. No Jewish people are being victimized by The College Dropout or the people listening to it. Or, at least if anyone who listens to The College Dropout is victimizing Jewish people, he or she isn't doing so because he or she listens to The College Dropout.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes yes, will someone please think of the listeners.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Why do you continue to pretend that I'm ignoring the damage that anti-Semitic comments do to Jewish people?

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Good luck in these trying times.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

See below:

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not pretending. I am looking at you wringing your hands at being POTENTIALLY inconvenienced if certain actions are taken in response to them. You called listeners "victims!"

Has anyone ever told you that you come across as entitled?

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Would you agree that music is an art form? Would you agree that art is an important part of culture? Would you agree that removing art that is an important part of culture can be potentially harmful to culture?

You’ve approached this entire conversation as if I don’t care about the anti-Semitism piece. It’s just not true. I made my stance on anti-Semitism clear. Yet you continue to run with it.

No. Because I’m not.

14. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Early in my career, I had a boss tell me no matter what I "thought" my words or actions were saying to my employees, it was their perception of those words/actions that really mattered.

SetVol13 likes this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Spotify is culture.

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I struggle to get this through to my youngest son. He thinks no matter *how* he says something, it is *what* he is saying that should matter. And I have to get him to understand that no, body language, tone, voice level etc, makes up half of our language.

Written language in texts, tweets, and forum posts are even harder because people imply tone and language in how things are written. We cannot help it, we are not robots.

So if someone comes in and writes "I know XXXXX, but YYYY" we are going to focus on the "I know" part and place a lot of pre-supposed baggage on it. Just how humans are wired. Why I try to be clear and have more context in my writings vs just a one liner that doesn't always convey what I want. I don't always succeed, but it is important in the written word because half of our language is absent in it.

SetVol13 and Poppa T like this.
  17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Feel free to answer the questions I asked. Though I'm sure you won't, and will just continue to push the false narrative that Indy is more worried about his music access than violence against Jewish people.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not pushing it, I am reading it. In your posts.

19. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Err, Uhmm...

20. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Oh lawd!