Elon Musk is in “Bonkersland”?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, May 25, 2018.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

The last bit framed it better than the rest of the opinion. Tech companies are inherently somewhat unstable. Notice how meta, with no sale, is teetering on disaster too.

I think musk will at some point come to the fork in the road of either making money with a stable iteration of twitter rules, or letting it be a free for all that blazes then burns out.

I don't think the last twitter runners handled it very well either. People want consistency, clarity, and transparency. We get none of that in tech moderating.

4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I get that we are supposed to hate Kanye now, but I really hope they don’t pull his music from Spotify.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Very indy post.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Who says you are supposed to hate anyone?

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How so?

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You know what I mean.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Load up with something extreme no one has said, then bring it back to only how it may affect you. Completely clipping out the part that matters: conspiratorial antisemitism. You know, the thing that drives violence. Completely circumvent the substance, pretend like you are being most reasonable in your position of, "just don't affect my music selection" as if anyone should give a shit about that.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Conspiratorial antisemitism is bad, mkay? You want me to add that to the front of the post, as if it's not an understood part of it? I'm not circumventing anything.

Does any of Kanye's music promote conspiratorial antisemitism? If so, feel free to pull those songs.

It's not just about "me." My neighbors across the street had "Monster" on their Halloween playlist. My wife and I heard it and both thought, "Damn, I wonder if all this latest controversy is going to lead to his music getting pulled?" One major company already made it clear that they are willing to take a big financial hit to not be associated with him anymore. Why couldn't Spotify do the same?

Pulling his music would rob many more people than just me of some of the best hip hop music of a generation. What's wrong with being against that?

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Buy the albums

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Like a hard copy? And play them on what? My CD player?

Unless you mean via iTunes or something similar. Is that even still a thing?

14. JohnnyQuickkick

You can still buy and download things off Apple Music, I am subscribed so I’m only assuming

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Looks like you're right. I thought they got rid of that when they went to their monthly subscription model. That's good to have as a backup, though I'd much prefer to just continue accessing it on Spotify, like I do all my other music. And to my other point about people in general missing out, I'm sure if the only way to hear his music is by buying the albums on itunes, a lot less people will hear his music.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

God forbid having to pay for something you want

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

What? Are you saying that about me or about other people? I think most people wouldn't buy Kanye's albums because they wouldn't think about buying them as an option if the songs just disappeared one day.

I have no problem paying for Kanye's albums. I assumed that was clear in the previous post, but maybe it wasn't. The problem is that there's no amount of many I can pay that will allow me to take those Kanye songs I've bought on itunes and loop them into playlists I've built on Spotify.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

Glad to know our future is in these people’s hands

You can also create playlists on Apple Music. It’s not rocket surgery.

SetVol13 likes this.
  19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I mean, it's just a generational thing. There are probably people just a few years younger than me who have never "bought" music in their lives.

Like intertwine the music you get access to via the monthly subscription setup with the music you purchase outright? Or are you saying I could buy all the songs I have in my playlist outright and put the same playlist together in Apple Music? Seems a bit tedious.

Are we sure that if they pulled his music off something like Spotify, that Apple Music wouldn't also remove it and make it impossible to purchase? Surely they can do that?

20. JohnnyQuickkick

I’m tired of kids being idiots. Figure it out.

If you bought it and downloaded it before they pulled it it’s yours.

Apple Music complies all the stuff I had before I subscribed as well, which was a lot. A lot of it is CDs I ripped in starting 20 years ago. It doesn’t matter where the files came from. I realize that’s different than Spotify but if your choice is having Kanye’s catalog separate on apple or not having it at all, it’s up to you.