Elon Musk is in “Bonkersland”?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, May 25, 2018.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

My take was that the way Musk was quantifying "bots" was different than how Twitter did. And that they both were probably reasonably accurate within their framing. Musk was counting bots cumulatively, whereas Twitter was counting/estimating active bots it had not yet detected/removed.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

tech jobs?

3. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I think it might be Elon derangement syndrome. He may very well tear the company down over time but his track record shows he likely will have some success and keep it alive. Time will tell.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

there are certainly more ways to succeed than to fail with a brand like twitter and I don't think the mainstream conversation on it seems to grasp that. Like I said earlier.

5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Amazon delivery drivers

6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Fair

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I do think there are some tech folks who are about to have to hunt for a job in ways they never did before.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

big tech’s been laying a lot of people off. The fed is trying to torpedo the labor market. At some point supply has to be greater than demand especially where twitter headquarters is.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Well twitter has never really made money and they definitely seemed overstaffed. The way he’s going at it seems likely twitter survives.

zehr27 likes this.
  10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

At the time, apparently everyone was locked out of the building, therefore nobody was left to monitor or fix issues that arise. The thought was that it would eventually glitch out quit working. Though later in the night they said the building would open back up in a few days.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

aren’t most of the workers remote anyway?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have been saying that too. If you are worried about revenue, shedding thousands of expensive staff probably helps as much as it hurts so long as the lights stay on.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yeah it’s not the way to grow the company but it’s certainly also not the way to destroy it either

14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Everything has to be done inside that building. That was made clear by the threat of it glitching and possibly shutting down while people were locked out of a building they apparently never go to.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

As if one really needed in, you wouldn't just break the door.

16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Basically a private equity approach. Run it lean and mean and find the profit.

droski likes this.
  17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I’m sure they had who they needed and wanted in the building.

it’s pretty clear there’s a lot of astroturfing going on with twitter and who the hell knows what’s really going on

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

All my buddies that work for big tech are currently still remote. Which is true for most people I know here too but more so for tech.

19. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

How is there not a hide a key?

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

employees are butthurt and reacting to everything like buttburt people do.

zehr27 likes this.