Elon Musk is in “Bonkersland”?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, May 25, 2018.

1. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Same. I have friends in insurance that are still remote as well. Quite a few jobs out there that are still remote and might stay that way for the long haul if it continues to work.

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Think he’s trying to end that too.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

If twitter were still a stock I would buy if this were a steep dip. It would be somewhat risky but it feels like there is a strong overreaction happening

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I sublet from an insurance company and they’ve been fully remote and have no plans to come back

zehr27 likes this.
  5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Right but they still have that capability

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I have a client with a huge position in Tesla and that’s what I told her. Bad news is overblown and I’ve never been a Tesla stock fan

zehr27 likes this.
  7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Seems like it would be a gain for the company if it can stay that way. Let your employees right off their home office use and make money off of sub leasing your office space or get rid of it all together.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Maybe, maybe not.

When I work remote there are things I can do like email, Zoom meetings and teams chats. There are other things I can’t do or access unless I’m in the office or signed in to our VPN. They could pretty easily limit my access to the building and to VPN if they wanted.

NorrisAlan and droski like this.
  9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'd have to think it hurts growth. particularly in a sales oriented profession. i'm sure it's great for servicing

zehr27 likes this.
  10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Should we be surprised anything to do with Twitter winds up appearing bizarre, at least from the outside?

11. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Twitter's codebase and devops infrastructure are massive. There will be fallout from all this. Maybe not today or next week. But it's inevitable.

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I am not a coder, at least not at that level, but it is a glorified text app. How massive can the code be? I am sure there is more to it than tweeting, but still.

13. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

They have a lot more microservices than you would think. IE spaces/moments/more creator tools. These code bases get so massive they retire features regularly otherwise it would be tough to maintain. But the scale of big tech is where DevOps and site reliability teams likely balloon. A dev that's working on the spaces feature wouldn't be able to assist with devops in a company this large.

I work on a really small dev team (less than 20). I couldn't imagine losing more than half our workforce. Lose more than 1 devops guy at once and we would be in a world of hurt (this is more critical than an engineer working on features in the app - I've seen large corporations like EY IT get crippled for months because of failure on knowledge transfer on their devops team). They are losing their SMEs left and right and you can't just hire more people and expect them to contribute right away. You're setting new people up for failure and the quality of new engineers is going to suffer because what good engineer wants to go work for that mess right now? Twitter also already paid on the low end for big tech.

14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

15. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

This is fun to watch

17. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

He found t-shirts in a closet? I don't really care as much about Musk as other people on both sides of the ledger seem to care, but Musk appears to be too much of an unpredictable shit stirrer for me to want to advertise on Twitter if I had a business.

18. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Twitter was obviously a typical leftist/progressive Silicon Valley office culture pre-Musk. Which is fine, but definitely is interesting watching him prune out his newly acquired company as he implements a new culture. I have not felt the need yet to close my twitter account permanently and would certainly consider advertising on Twitter as a business owner myself.

19. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

He is claiming he is going to unload what really happened with the Hunter Biden situation before the elections. I would bet this is going to be a giant disappointment for the people expecting something groundbreaking. He is about to disappoint the far right nuts.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

The House is going to have a year and a half of investigations live on tv by then.