ESPN sharticle on Cuonzo Martin

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by JohnnyQuickkick, Nov 2, 2015.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

My main point since his last season is that if we didn't want him here, then fine. Give him the common courtesy of being fired instead of just being made to feel completely unwelcome. We have no problem shelling out 6 million dollar buyouts for Dooley, but lord forbid we do so for Martin? Deficiencies be damned, the guy got treated terribly-- especially those last few months.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

this is wrong. He didn't go as deep as Pearl, though he had enough talent to go that deep.

Cuonzo issues at UT were about the complete lack of any evidence of coaching.

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

what? Pearl was unlucky as all get out to miss a final 4 and had his teams winning in unexpected fashion. Cuonzo was in an atrocious SEC and had very good talent basically fighting with the likes of Darrin Horn to be mid to lower mid pack type in the east. The guy underperformed for his final two seasons and did so in a very big way.

Again, there was no semblance of a plan to win games.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He had a contract extension on his desk he never signed.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Then buy him out.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

After his "lucky" run. Before that, it was fan petitions and being treated like the field hockey coach by boosters.

7. CardinalVol

Win. It cures all ills. Moe imporantly - don't perennially lose to inferior opponents on a regular basis.

8. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

No but you do seem to be having a hard time admitting you were wrong.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

why in the hell would we do that. That's more AD malpractice. His coaching was essentially awful and the team was directionless. I don't like how the fanbase treated him, but he needed to go away. Bumbling into a tourney and then stumbling to a couple of wins isn't big news for a team with top tier talent. The fact that they bumbled the way they did was the news.

10. CardinalVol

Yup. If you can save a couple of million on the buyout, save a couple of million.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Butch does not approve of this.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not at all having a hard time. Good grief. I was wrong. It was years ago now. If you go back and look, my stance on Martin getting treated poorly has been very consistent.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

3 wins. You said a couple. I'm sure Rockyhill and TT will come and point this error out to you, and wonder why you have a hard time admitting it.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

For Martin. But not for Dooley! Wonder what's different...

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We're hoping someone comes and buys out Butch in year three.

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

wasn't trying to diminish the "huge run" that he finished with. Maybe you'll recall our seeding, based upon having had a terrible season in an awful SEC. We were fortunate enough to get some serious bracket help. Pretending that coaching somehow won us some tourney games is silly to me. Richardson having some otherworldly shooting nights, even taking bad shots, and some fortune in who lost were the difference. The coaching was still horrendous.

He was not as good at UT as Pearl. In fact, Tyndall was a better coach. Taking the consensus 2nd or 3rd best team in the conference and praying to make the dance at the end is stuff that should get a coach fired. It wasn't getting him fired. We actually offered a new contract. I don't care if we held our nose while presenting it, we still did it for a coach who had proven that his coaching was suspect at best and nonexistent most likely.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

who treated him poorly? the fans?

Did the AD treat him poorly?

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Hoping with all of my might

19. CardinalVol

No one else would hire him to save us the money?

20. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

You're being a tad picky. A couple vs. 3? Come on. You managed to think Cuonzo took us deeper than Pearl, and whatever maybe you overlooked it, but don't be a **** when you get called on it.