ESPN sharticle on Cuonzo Martin

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by JohnnyQuickkick, Nov 2, 2015.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I think race played a factor with some fans, and possibly even some boosters. But that's going to be the case for as long as we keep allowing it to be.

The ultimate problem was Cuonzo was an inconsistent coach, coaching after a guy who had some success here that also happened to be the polar opposite of his personality. This was a bad fit for Martin. For that, you can blame Dave Hart and the rest of the administration. They vet people about as poorly as possible.

2. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

Pearl went to 2 sweet sixteens and an elite eight.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Best tourney record: 3-1. Martin's: 3-1.

4. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

You said he'd taken us as far as we'd gone. That isn't true.

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yes, but Martin got his first win from the play in game as a result of his chronic underachieving whereas Pearl earned a higher seed and ended up further in the tournament. I voiced my opinion from the beginning on Martin. He's not a bad coach, but not a good one, just a bland piece of toast that was going to keep us hovering in mediocrity as long as he was here. Certainly, some of the stuff that happened to him wasn't right and may have been the result of some racism from the Bubba Brigade, but I wasn't sad to see him go.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

IP must be trollin'.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not trolling. He got a raw deal. Saying he got lucky to make a run in the tournament but not using "luck" to evaluate Pearl or any losses is stacking the deck. The run speaks for itself.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'm still mad about the sham of a charge call on Stokes, and I was on a plane during that part of the game.

9. RockyHill

You still haven't acknowledged that you were wrong.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

You went to Auburn. Don't talk about a speck in my eye.

11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yep. Pretty well sums it up.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The run was made primarily with the same guys he'd struggled to play .600 ball with over three regular seasons. I think three seasons speak for themselves moreso than one month.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If he misses the tourney in his last season, this isn't even a discussion.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yup.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Pearl took us to an elite 8 and was a Hopson dive after a loose ball and/or questionable foul on Prince from making the Final Four. Losses to UTEP, Vandy and 2 to A&M in 13/14 are the reason he had to play in the play in game in the first place.

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Meh, I'm not sure many good coaches were touching that job with the NCAA cloud that was overhead.

Edit - not saying it couldn't be done, just that it wasn't going to be easy.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  17. RockyHill

Getting a little testy aren't you. I'm not the one making retarded statements and then defending them. I mean it's a matter of fact, you're acting as if there's some judgement.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Does KB have an alternate account? I'm not testy in the least.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's how I feel about him.

20. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

He was a guy that couldn't cut it here. I'm glad he's gone. Unfortunately we can't seem to hire a coach in any damn sport that can get it done.