Evan Berry practicing at TB

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Oct 8, 2014.

1. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Like when Fulmer put Eric Berry at QB.

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I think Hurd getting banged up, Lane already being gimpy and not really knowing what you have behind that may make this easier to do. Especially with who they picked to slide over. JMO.

3. Beechervol

I said 3 runs and a punt. You may be right too.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

*Sighs*

There's some concern for Saturday's performance, but as of now it still remains a but of an outlier of the 5 games as a whole. (The perormances vary and such, but you get the idea.) It was awful, but if they revert back to the norm of the first four weeks, then SC, Mizzou and/or UK are there.

This has become truth (there are issues) that have been taken 10 levels too far because of the "what have you done for me lately" syndrome.

Now, if for the next two weeks we look the same as Saturday, then ok, we're in major trouble.

All goes back to my theory than in a 12 game schedule you will have one game where you play way above your level, one where you play way below, and the other 10 are actually what you really are.

Just my two cents.

5. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Serious question, Card.

2011- Cincy/Tenn
    2013- Tenn/SoCar

Which is the real Butchie?

6. CardinalVol

Somewhere in between the two.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

While this may well be desperation, isn't depth a serious problem right now too? Lane has been banged up for awhile, Hurd is now out, Young is not capable of going for 20 carries a game without death being a possibility, the freshman guy has hardly played to this point due to injury... Sounds like we need a scholarship body right now.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think the team will actually perform better from here on out, as I believe sans the Vanderbilt game, they will be underdogs. They did not perform well at all while expecting to win. I think the rest of the games will be close, but save for the Alabama game, they will be close games (unless Bo Wallace decides to show up, then Ole Miss rips us a new hole).

I think we get 6 wins, maybe 5. But I wouldn't be surprised if we get 4. or 7. I have zero expectations from here out. I will watch and cheer, but any expectations are gone.

9. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Not to mention a young team is rarely consistent with it's play. Some weeks are going to be better than others.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree with your premise completely, and even expand it to a particular game being played 10 times, what would the outcome be each of those times. With UF, I have to believe Tennessee beats this UF team 6 or 7 times out of 10. We just caught when of the 3 or 4. Likewise, last year S. Carolina beats Tennessee 9 out 10 times. We happened to catch the one way they could lose: coaching screw-ups for the gamecocks and max output/effort by our offense.

So, of the games so far, which has been our best? I would argue it was the Georgia game, controlling for difficulty of opponent. We win that particular game if Worley stays in. We probably beat UGA 4 out of 10 times with 2014 teams. That's two games with not too unfavorable odds we've missed on. Now to win 6, we have to not lose a "9 out of 10" type game against Chattanooga, "2 out of 10" type game against Vanderbilt, and somehow pull 2 out of 3 "5 out of 10" games (at best) to win 6. Or pull out an improbable Bama upset or almost as improbable Ole Miss upset. Not likely.

This all goes back to Kid B's and Float's probability calculator. We should pull that back out and look at our odds for winning 6 games, as we stand at 2-3.

11. CardinalVol

I'm just trying to figure out how by saying that if you look at the season as a whole saying you can beat a team we've lost to twice in my 34 years on earth and one of two other teams who aren't exactly playing like juggernauts this season means you think Butch is going to win it all next year when I've so much as said he's not this week.

12. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

You're not in Kansas anymore

13. CardinalVol

If we put out 25% of the offensive performance we do against UGA we win. I'm not sure we got to 10%.

I mean, yeah, I'm pissed. I have lowered expectations to where Butch will take us, but that doesn't mean we can't beat a couple of teams that are right there with us based on what I've seen thusfar.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I think people aware overreacting a bit. Give some credit to florida's defense. They showed up against us. That wasn't the case with UK and Bama.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Thank god, Kansas sucks.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Indy... We let them show up. We waited in the parking lot since they were running late. We called their cell. No answer, so we called their mom up and ask her to wake them up and head over.

We killed ourselves with penalties that ended drives in the first half. We could have buried them easily. That wasn't their defense making it 9-0, it was us.

17. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Funny how RBs start dropping like flies after the gameplan for them thus far has been running into a brick wall.

18. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

I lived there for two years in 82/83, Ft. Riley. You're right.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Driven through there lots of times. I always wonder, "why does anyone live here?" Especially nowadays. Couldn't your harvest your fields via robot?

20. Beechervol

Maybe some. Could be that Bama and UK fielded a more competent challenge. Sad enough, even with our inept play we should still win the game by 2 scores just by understanding our strengths and their weaknesses.