Expansion talks again

Discussion in 'Sports' started by droski, Jul 19, 2016.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I'd personally vote WVU because I think WVU has more character as a general matter, and also has way better fans. And I can't focking stand VT; they get my silver medal of hatred coming in comfortably behind Florida but, surprisingly, winning by a nose against every other SEC school.

That being said, a man that didn't hate VT, and who wanted to thus argue the merits of them vis a vis WVu, has some good points that can be made. VT is bigger, it has more money, its in a state with more than a single area code, ti's in a shithole, but at least an accessible shithole. Academics are way better. Geography makes more sense. Etc.

2. kidbourbon

By a good margin.

3. kidbourbon

I think TAMU fits in well. Mizzou was a headscratcher when they were added, are no less a headscratcher today. They don't fit in on any level.

4. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

With that being said though, f**k Clemson with a rusty shank.

5. RockyHill

All that mattered was TV money. There weren't any better options.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yep.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

We don't want or need a florida or south Carolina duplicate

8. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Thanks for the input, Mr. DeBord.

9. kidbourbon

Why not?

The oft-floated notion of outward geographic expansion as a positive is flat wrong. "Oh, but now we've got everybody from the state of Missouri tuning in to the SEC," said lotsa people. Not how it works. I don't know how this obvious fallacy has been propagated for so long and believed by so many. You add the team with the better national brand recognition. Doesn't matter if its 12 miles from an existing school in the same conference.

10. RockyHill

Not a fallacy

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I'd like the SEC to add the following:

Top Tier
    OU, OSU (because they'd have to be a pair), Duke, UNC

Honorable Mention:
    Clemson, Kansas, UVA

I'd rather disband the SEC before adding:
    VT, WVU, FSU, Miami, GaTech

I'd support armed insurrection before agreeing to add:
    Memphis

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Memphis will never be a part of the SEC. I think the armed insurrection thing is good.

13. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Why would Kentucky want Kansas in the conference?

Why would anybody else want another Kentucky in the conference?

14. cotton

I still think the wish list is 2 from OU, NC St, Va Tech, and WVU.

15. cotton

You can bet that SC will do everything within its power to stop Clemson from coming, just as UK will do with UofL or Florida with FSU. Why share money and glory with the mother****ers you hate most in the world and compete with in every area on a daily basis?

16. RockyHill

I was assuming KidB was throwing those factors out the window and speaking purely in terms of how well they'd fit and improve the conference.

After his comment about Missouri being a headscratcher I guess I may have been wrong.

17. RockyHill

Call me old fashioned but I just don't want to see any new teams. Despite my hatred of both schools I could probably tolerate Clemson and FSU just because I think both more or less fall in with SEC culture and footprint. TAMU has worked out well so far and Mizzou is just one team. The thought of traveling to focking Raleigh or Morgantown to watch an SEC game is repulsive to me.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think it'd be a good move at making the league stronger in basketball and would hopefully increase the quality of basketball. How the concussion stuff plays out in the future is also going to be interesting and could end footballs run on top.

19. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I appreciate your burning hatred but calling Auburn an afterthought is downright comical.[/QUOTE]
    They are so far in Alabama's shadow that they are as white as Seamus.

20. RockyHill

They are so far in Alabama's shadow that they are as white as Seamus.[/QUOTE]

In terms of fans, yeah. In terms of Nattys, yeah. Nobody is going to make the argument that Auburn is on their level all time. With that being said, Auburn leads the series in the past 35 years, so afterthought isn't the word I'd use.