Expansion talks again

Discussion in 'Sports' started by droski, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

It does if you're not in the AfAm department

2. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Suffice it to say they are not on Duke's level. Let's say you bring UNC and VT to the SEC. I don't think anyone is really that mesmerized by what UNC brings academically. They're more similar to UF and UGA than they are Duke.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

It does, period. It's one of the best schools in the country and exceptionally hard to get into out of state.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I know, I just hate UNC

7. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I'm a PhD student there right now, so you're preaching to the choir

8. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Maybe. Two points:

1. UNC and Duke aren't coming. They are going to write their own terms in whatever ACC/Big East/American Superconference that filters through those conferences. Oklahoma is probably almost as unlikely, but I listed them anyway for the hell of it.

2. VaTech and WVU are much stronger football draws, regionally and nationally. Consolidation and expansion isn't being done for basketball or academics. It's all about football and football TV revenue, and nobody outside of the triangle knows that Duke or NC play football, and nobody inside the triangle really cares. I think NC St is much more likely, as they are in the same position, you still get the Carolina coast, and you don't have to give away anything to get the bastard child.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I honestly think Cutcliffe has helped them remember that Duke plays football.

10. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

It unquestionably is.

On the other hand, the "geographical footprint" model worked out really well for the Big East. Oh wait.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's been a terrible failure for the Big 10, Pac 12 and SEC. Oh wait.

Now trot out Conference USA or the Sunbelt and pretend like it's a legitimate argument.

12. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

The footprint was fine. What killed the league was that the football was terrible. However, if Pat White doesn't choke/get injured and lose the 10-9 game to Pitt, West Virginia wins a national title and the trajectory of that league is very, very different.

13. hatvol96

North Carolina and Duke will join the SEC at exactly the same time I marry Jacqui Pearl.

14. hatvol96

Which means the list is actually OU and West Virginia. The legislature in North Carolina will never bust the triangle and the politicos in Virginia expended way too much to get Tech in the same league as UVA to move from that.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

VA tech probably has a better chance of relevance outside the SEC anyway.

16. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Perhaps as things now stand.

But if the ACC remains shaky, they can be brought to heel.

17. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

She could do worse.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The acc just got a tv deal

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

The ACC has passed through their period of vulnerability. It will be awhile before one could realistically steal a school worth taking

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

especially after taking Maryland to the cleaners for leaving