Expansion talks again

Discussion in 'Sports' started by droski, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Which, incidentally, works even better with the pod system, at least regarding preserving traditional rivalries.

Tennessee
    WVU
    Kentucky
    Vanderbilt

South Carolina
    Florida
    Georgia
    Auburn

Alabama
    Ole Miss
    Mississippi State
    LSU

Arkansas
    Missouri
    Oklahoma
    Texas A&M

biggest rivalry you'd lose there is Tennessee/Georgia or Auburn/LSU. Which is to say, nothing important.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

If ever the SEC goes to 16, this seems the best way.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If that happens I'll form my own football conference. With blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the football.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I want the 4 divisions to each have a quirky trophy.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the only real poachable teams are from the big 12 and non power 5 at this point. all the others have big time breakup fees because of the tv deals.

6. Tar Volon

yeah, just have fun talking the rest of the SEC into letting Tennessee play in a division with WVU, Kentucky, and Vandy. Maaaaybe you can sell it as a pod system (which I do think is the best way), but you're going to have to overcome a lot of kneejerk "no way in hell" reactions to make it happen

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Guaranteed Bama, Florida, and maybe UGA nullifies that completely

8. Tar Volon

Like I said, it makes sense when you remember that the #1 team in a division doesn't go to the CG, it makes more sense. Two of those are always going to be paired, so one being a little weaker isn't a disaster. That said, have fun convincing anyone else of that.

9. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

The ACC gets any TV revenue received from its current members til 2036. I guess Duke and Carolina are going to leave a league that they fit in a hundred times better to play for free. Makes perfect sense. I'm sure they love that idea.

10. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

What's wrong with Raleigh? It reminds me of Nashville somewhat, just a few years behind

11. NashVol11

I thought 12 was the perfect number. Unfortunately (but predictably), the people in charge want more money.

12. NashVol11

UNC is like UVA academically, and probably better than Georgia Tech, but for some reason those schools seem to get way more academic hype.

13. hatvol96

It is not even close. Anyone who thinks the true academicians at Carolina will allow the school to be in the same league with Miss State, Barn, Ark, and South Carolina have lost their minds.

14. hatvol96

No probably to it. Take out engineering and GA Tech never sniffs UNC.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

If folks think UNC isn't a top tier public university, they're just wrong. It is.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I know they are, but it's a crock of shit they are going skate on the academic fraud there

17. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Nothing at all, I like Raleigh. It's just that in a million years it could never be an SEC town.

Edit: nor would it want to be

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

They are, but I have to think for at least the short term the academic prestige they'd bring to an athletic conference is diminished.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's a crock pot of shit left on medium all day, and you have to take the lid off to deal with it. But it really doesn't change the worth of the actual education. Honestly, it's an NCAA issue and it should be a total death penalty. But they're corrupt and beholden to money rather than any competitive standard

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Nobody is tuning in to watch academic prestige. Nebraska's and Florida state's titles count the same as Ohio State's and Florida's.