Fall Practice 3 days in

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Aug 4, 2014.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The QBs look rough

Hurd is a special talent and Lane has really stepped up as a leader. Scott has looked good in limited touches too. I hope Paulk redshirts so his knee can be 100%, but he hasn't been bad either. Coaches have raved about all 4, especially Lane's dedication to the program and Hurd's God given abilities that no one else on the roster has.

The first 3 WRs are North, Malone and Pearson. The second set are Smith, Croom and Pig Howard. It's been written, either VQ or 24/7, that this is the most SEC ready position on the team. Jenkins is a guy, that if he can stay healthy, will see a few passes this year too.

Wharton and Pearson will be your kick returners

Blair is still 2nd string, leaving a 5th year walk on starting left tackle.

Hendrix and Barnett are 260 - 270 and athletic enough to be considered defensive ends.

O'Brien, Jordan Williams, Saulsberry, Sawyers, Owen Williams and Demarya Mixon are the DT rotation. Jashon Robertson has been there too, but there is a lot of talk about him moving to guard.

Every writer talks about how much more athletic Tennessee looks on defense at all levels. Moseley is still expected to start opposite of Sutton and Coleman has been moved to the nickel.

Weatherd and Bates have both impressed with their athleticism. Bates has been complimented on his football smarts a lot as well. All three (Bates, Weatherd and Creamer) have been called "totally different style" of linebackers then what has been here the past couple of seasons. I'm assuming that means fast, sure tacklers that can contain and cover.

The OL is a work in progress. The interior is fine. They aren't all time greats, but they're good enough. Thomas is getting better at RT and the LT is a mess. There's really only 3 true tackles on the roster in Thomas, Blair and Kendrick. Pair is still here, but has a history of knee issues.

This WR group could do great things. Statistically, they may not show it this season due to sub par QB play, but they're a very talented, deep group.

The youth movement on defense will lead to some screw ups, but it bodes well for the future.

I'm interested in seeing special teams this year. There's a lot more athleticism to send out there. Kudos to Butch and his staff for nearly turning over 50% of the roster in one class.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It is spring already? Did I miss the whole season? Did we make a bowl game? Was Kiffin assaulted when Bama rolled in?

I missed it all!

3. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Ahh, hope in the air. Going to be another roller coaster ride season.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Medley has been extremely consistent on field goals 45 and in.

Darr still takes 3 minutes to get a punt off.

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

TEs will be a much bigger part of the offense this year.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Worley, for the tie.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, Wolf and Helm are splitting reps with the 1's
    If the tackles struggle, I expect a lot of two te sets

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Both Wolf and Helm are huge upgrades over what was there last season. Alex Ellis gets talked about a lot too as a surprise this fall. He was hurt all of last season

9. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

These freshman look the part.

Doubt there isn't a freshman in the secondary almost every snap.

10. The early reports on the qbs are alarming but sadly not surprising. Everything looks gravy except the most important position on our team. GO VOLS!

11. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I don't think Baja will be back with the team next season if he goes 2 years in a row without developing a QB.

12. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

OL has shades of the Sullins twins at the bookends. I'm just hoping that Worley can put it together and run Jones' fast paced offense effectively enough to get the ball out of his hands before defenders blind side him into the dirt. We need our Sr. QB to take the reigns.

Mosley starting opposite Cam is both an indictment and a blessing for the DB's. Coleman is much better suited for the Nickel, IMO. Seriously wondering how long Randolph and/or McNeil can stave off TK Jr...dude is going to get some snaps, for sure.

Return game should be as much, if not more, exciting to watch this year than recent years, minus CP from two years ago. I've read nothing but good remarks about Wharton and Pearson.

No idea what to expect from our kicking unit. Darr was seemingly schizophrenic, if not a picture on a milk carton, for his first couple of years and, between Bullock and Medley, I have no idea what to expect with our place kickers. Hopefully Jones doesn't blurt out a "don't f**k up" as motivation before they run on the field.

The main theme I've read/heard is the VAST improvement of overall team speed...like a tuning fork for the soul. Ahhh...football is back.

13. OrangeBlood79

We had TE's last season?

14. Volsfan31

Volsfan31 Member

[​IMG]

Creamer played WR in high school right? That doesn't seem fair.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Croom is bigger then he is

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Randolph is firmly entrenched as a starter. McNeil has been replaced by Swafford. If I had to bet, Todd Kelly Jr will take over for him

17. Volsfan31

Volsfan31 Member

True. If we ever get Croom to play to his size we will be in business.

18. OrangeBlood79

What the fu...how have I missed this?!?

If that's the case, then it's just a matter of time.

19. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

McNeal was ineffective outside of September last season.

20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

He needs to get his shit together.