Fall Practice 3 days in

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Aug 4, 2014.

1. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

That part was obvious...but I was unaware he had lost his starting position.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

If Dobbs, now with 5 live games and a full season under his belt, cannot beat out Worley - I'm going to have serious concerns about him, in this offensive staff, or most likely, both.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

There is still time for one of these SOQB's to get it together. But not much time. I wish we would threaten going to a single wing if one of them doesn't make the forward pass seem viable.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

What I can't understand is that Dobbs is clearly light years ahead of Worley, physically and athletically. I won't even mention Worley's stage fright, and the fact that he is scared - SCARED - to run the no-read option.

And if Dobbs wants to be an astronaut, I find it hard to believe that he's struggling to learn an offense. If so, then he might want to reconsider his long-term career goals - and readjust his aim from going to "outer space" to riding on "Space Mountain".

So, if its not physical, athletic or intellectual....what is it?

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

From the practice vids, both are just inconsistent on accuracy. Or consistently inaccurate. Whichever.

6. OrangeBlood79

It's early but the concerns for Dobbs (and Worley) are warranted. Not to knock Worley, he is what he is, but he's a rich man's Matt Simms. Arm strength is not a problem, it's serviceable but nowhere near what we had with Bray, but his accuracy is piss poor. The fact that Dobbs hasn't been able to separate himself leads me to believe that Jones either has a Jeff Fisher-esque type of loyalty to more experienced players or Dobbs just isn't much better than Worley.

I have not heard of him having difficulties learning the playbook, in fact, just the opposite, IIRC. I don't know what the issue is, other than a lack of talent. Neither Peterman nor Dobbs seem to have the chops to overthrow Worley, who is, at best, a below-average starting QB in the SEC at this point.

Then again...it's only practice #3. A lot can happen between now and kickoff. I'm hopeful but not optimistic.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Rich man's Matt Simms. That is spot on.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Scrimmages are where breakouts happen.

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Has Ferguson been named the starter yet?

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's detailing cars back home.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

That's a long fall

12. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

There's a big jump between knowing what to do and being able to do it in drills and being able to do it at game speed with live fire. Some people take longer to make that jump. Some people never make it. Hopefully Dobbs does.

13. KenTenn

KenTenn Only Mod Approved Posts

I’m a Dobbs man but more important than that, a Vols fan. Watching the Day-3 video and freely admitting I’m far from what anybody could say is a savvy observer. I also admit a video doesn’t put you physically on the field so there’s a mountain range of stuff you don’t see. All that, here’s my take.

Dobbs - Dropped a ball. So? Well he’s done that in games and it happened again during the O&W game. And now during practice. It just seems a persistent event with him. Small hands? Maybe. Lack of focus? Could be.

His throws seemed tentative and if he continues, he will once again be an interception generator. You just don’t pumpkin toss in the SEC. You need an arm that’s a Remington M24-A3 chambering a .338 Lapua Magnum long-range cartridge. A Daisy Model 105 Buck Air Rifle doesn’t cut it.

Worley - Some good throws, some throws made to the blades of grass. Some over throws. To tell the truth, I just don’t know what to think about him.

Peterman - Seems to over throw or throw high a lot. Not sure why. Frankly, I didn’t see enough of him to say much.

Wegzyn - I run the risk of being beaten, stomped, marinated, ground into burger, then fed to Baby (Not the Momma) Sinclair. But from my perspective, Wegzyn seemed to throw better. That is if #6 was him I kept thinking it was Patrick Ashford, but then kept self-correcting that he was too tall to be Ashford.. In any case, he seemed to throw the ball better and not make the receivers work so hard to make the catch. I hope he gets an honest chance to compete for the starting spot.

Overall, I was disappointed with what I saw in the Qbs. Yes, it is just the third practice so probably isn’t as dire as I imply. But I was expecting leaps and bounds better from our QBs.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Wegzyn had no zip on his throws

15. OrangeBlood79

As smart as Dobbs is, it could be a case of him over-thinking things. Paralysis by analysis, perhaps.

16. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Could it be that they don't feel that Dobbs is the guy for the future and they don't want to scare off potential recruits by having a young guy establish himself as the starter?

17. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Wegzyn the kid from Catholic? He wasn't even good in high school.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's what I'm hoping for.

19. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

If Im the staff Im worried if that's the scenario.

That means your future QB is playing HS ball right now and will be a FR and So in your "make or break" Years (15' and 16')

20. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I don't see that really. Dobbs will be a Jr before the next batch hits campus. Butch needs to be good in year 3 and 4 and if Im him I hope Dobbs can "get it".