Fall Practice

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by zehr27, Aug 5, 2021.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Senior year our band started thinking they were something awesome. One game we had the TSU band play the halftime show (note - if you have never experienced the TSU band, do so), and they got mad and decided to play post game. There were about 100 people in the stands, all parents, and everyone else had left. After that, they started to shut up.

justingroves likes this.
  2. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Our high school team won 3 games in the four years I was there. The band thought they were the only reason people showed up. The reality that a [uck fay]ing awful football team was infinitly more of a draw than them was too depressing for them to accept.

CardinalVol, justingroves and IP like this.
  3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I love watching my sons march and play in the band, but that said, I know that 80% of the people are there for and only for the football game.

And that is ok. I'm there for my sons.

Volokie, TDVol1989 and Memtownvol like this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

when I was a band officer and this kind of talk came up in my section, I would explain it like this: where do we perform? Do they call it a marching band field? no. the end.

Volokie and Memtownvol like this.
  5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

The time to shine is in parades.

10SEvols likes this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I hate parades. they're long and there is no football game

SetVol13 likes this.
  7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I always felt bad for the kids marching in a parade in the middle of July in full band outfit. Looked miserable.

justingroves likes this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

it is. I see it as a big waste of time and I wouldn't do it in retrospect. sorry, norris.

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I nor any of my family has ever had any interest in going to stand on the side of a road and watch a parade. Never understood it

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  10. NorrisAlan

No reason to be sorry, friend. My youngest may quit after his first year, but at least he will have given it a shot. It is one of the only things that gets them out of their room and around other people, and it is very important. Neither of them play sports nor have any interest in them. This is a way for them to have a communal event, some shared suffering, for lack of a better term, that will give them a sense of comradery.

A-Smith likes this.
  11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

12. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Candy, duh

IP and NorrisAlan like this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

14. NorrisAlan

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I thought they were big into the scouts and camping and outdoor stuff

16. NorrisAlan

Were. Then they turned 14 and everything was dumb and stupid.

17. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

18. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

The quarterbacks looked to be in numerical order once again today with lowest number to highest. That said, I thought both Hendon Hooker and Joe Milton threw the ball very well today. Both crisp and on the money during routes-on-air featuring comebacks, ins, outs and slants. Again, both Hooker and Milton looked sharp getting the ball down field on go’s, seams and deep posts. Harrison Bailey looked to be a bit off today while media was present – misfiring high and behind on a couple of occasions.

-VQ

IP likes this.
  19. NorrisAlan

Damn. He spent too much time hanging around JG.

20. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Based on these open session write ups only - seems like Hooker has been the most consistent thus far.