FBI Admits Active Hillary Investigation

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Feb 9, 2016.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

No. There absolutely should not be. That would be handled on a separate classified system. If not, then each case is mid-handling classified info. That doesn't change whether it's at state.gov or hillarys-closet-server.com.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Ahh interesting. I see your point. I assume she wasn't using the classified system too? Are you suggesting the people sending her email couldn't send it to people outside of the classified system?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  3. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Laws and rules are for ordinary folk like you and I.. She is one of Washington's most elite, no one will even pay it more than a cursory glance.

This arrogance will trip her up, it's getting to that part of the story.

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

No. As Secretary, this "born-classified" versus marked classified is a political excuse and nothing more.

5. TennTradition

I disagree, but that depends on the nature of the information. This is for the same reason Powell is arguing that in his opinion the emails in question that were connected to him were not classified.

6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Powell is no different.

7. TennTradition

As cut and dry as we'd like it to be, it sometimes isn't. Some things are - and in those cases it's easy to make a case.

This isn't even to mention correspondence that could be retroactively classified - with no reason to have been orinially born classified.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

At some point I did read that some of the classified material in the Clinton situation wasn't classified at the time.

9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

She always says that the emails were never marked as classified. I send email as I am sure you do. Where is the "Mark as Classified" button on email systems? I have not seen it.

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Some government systems have this function.

11. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

She was not using a Gov't system.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

No. Lower level employees are tasked with recognizing and handling sensitive data appropriately. There should be no exception for Secretaries of State. Clearly, spillage occurred, and the setup by which she allegedly conducted email business made it inevitable and arguably by design (with no reference to intent intended).

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's a pretty good burn.

14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Fixed your post. :)

15. TennTradition

I agree that the expectation exists and correspondingly the letter of the law is on your side of this discussion. I'm not trying to argue it isn't. But I am suggesting that despite this, the process can get tricky. An email could technically be born classified because you mention a name in a reply and 50 emails down in a chain a certain location is mentioned. If I'm a prosecutor, I'm not going after someone for that. I am arguing there are degrees of mishandling and that whether or not she is actually indicted will depend on the degree in this situation.

This is particularly true if some were literally not classified (not marked classified but actually not considered classified) at that time but are now retroactive considered classified because of changing situations.

16. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

The FBI is investigating the transfer of sensitive information from a classified network to an unsecure open network. If Clinton’s inner circle copied material from the government’s classified network (SIPRNet) so that it could be sent to her private email address, it would be a crime. There are no circumstances to justify this action. Clinton signed a classified-information nondisclosure form swearing to protect Classified information. They would have to use a hard drive or a disk to get such information transferred. I have a SIPRNet account and anything taken deliberately off a closed system to an open unsecure network would be deemed criminal for myself. The SIPRNet is not some account you simply log into from your work computer. Its a separate computer in a secure location. This is what makes this seem more premeditated.

Why the hell would Clinton not have a SIPRNet account in the first place as the head of the department of State? She would need access to read sensitive and classified information on a daily basis unless she instructed them to obtain information off the SIPRNet and forward the information from their email to her private email.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  17. TennTradition

I completely agree. I hadn't actually seen those details regarding the FBI investigation. This is much more meaningful to me than 'stored classified information on a private server' because some emails have been determined to be born classified. The transfer from the secure system is clearly an issue.

18. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I never dismissed the seriousness of Clinton's situation.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

She sec state for cripes sake, regardless of her lack of qualifications.

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I will say this, it's apparently not terribly difficult to get a classified clearance. I have several friends that have the clearance due to their jobs. The FBI agent conducting the background checks didn't ask any terribly probing questions.