Flint Water Issue

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Volst53, Jan 19, 2016.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Diagnosis: fracture of funny bone.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Looks bad on the mayor and city council too. I'd say most of the heat will be directed at the city manager appointed by the governor but he just singed off on their vote. He could have vetoed it though

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Human failure. I don't think it being the government vs private industry would have been a big difference, imho.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'd say a private industry would see criminal charges quicker.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Depends on the type of private industry. Poisoning water seems to not be a "jail" offense often enough, but in this case this wasn't even really an "accident," just straight negligence.

6. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Just saw a picture of running water at a Flint hospital, looked more like vegetable oil.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That's the phosphate coating of the pipes wearing off from when they were on Detroit's supply. They're supposed to be adding it back to the treatment to seal the pipes again

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I can defend millions gaining access to healthcare. I am surprised you would attempt to equate that to poisoning people.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm not equating it and you know it.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

What are you doing then?

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think any of us fully trust the integrity of Michael Moore as a journalist/documentarian, so take this with a grain of salt:

http://michaelmoore.com/10FactsOnFlint/

If he's right about all of this, it is even more gross of a situation than I first realized.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Not at my cost you can't, unless you completely ignore equality and self determination.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Almost as badly as the governor and his appointees need to pay the consequences for this, I'd like to see a thorough investigation of the EPA's actions regarding monitoring and handling of this. I defend them when they fine ranchers for cattle in the creeks or farmers for nitrate levels, but if they see that as worthy of attention then how did they let this go on for so long?

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

A lot of people struggled to afford health care at all long before Obamacare. You're pissed because it's too expensive for you now. Ironic.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well, not ironic. I don't know what the word is. Either way, let's fix it and cut out the insurance middle man.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

So? People struggle to afford everything in this world. The fight to survive or thrive is a huge part of the challenge that makes life worth living.

Don't be an idiot. I'm pissed because it's more freeloading and we've proven that program a pure failure. No debate.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It's done so at doing nothing that addresses the problem either. Insurance is still mostly tied to employment and the consumer is still not realizing the true cost of medical services, which means they use it and abuse it in irrational ways.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016