Football Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Volst53, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

we talk about winning and losing like its all that matters, but the score board doesn't always tell the truth on that matter.

I know my favorite player to coach is an underdog that just doesn't know when to quit. I have a player that has dwarfism, but he just gets out there and does his best and to be honest he can play center decent.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

At least you were never down 52-0 at halftime......

3. CardinalVol

Some fun, random streaks broken in my playing career -

1. 7th grade - lost to a school for the first time in school history
    2. 10th grade - had a 26 game winning streak broken against a school
    3. 11th grade, week 7 - had a team snap a 22 game losing streak against us
    4. 11th grade, week 8 - had a team snap a 25 game losing streak against us

I have well-defined character I suppose.....

4. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

My sophomore year in HS, we beat Chattanooga Howard 70-0 on our homecoming on a Friday the 13th. The next year we beat them at their HC 28-0, My senior year we beat them 42-0. Great times!

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Oh God.... I'll hold my judgement until i know for sure... what was her alma mater?

6. CardinalVol

Hahahahaha.

Central.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Oh you meant high school. I was assuming you were going to say she was a DePauw grad. Central isn't really our rivals. Mater Dei is our cross town Catholic rival, and lately we have had a big rivalry with Reitz. So she's from Eville? you guys go back often?

8. CardinalVol

Occasionally. Usually for a long-weekend.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Hmm well i don't know you at all but you are a Vol fan and seem well liked around here so you can't be too bad of a guy. Maybe if you are ever in town while im home we can play some golf or something. Not enough vol fans in Indiana.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

12. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

lol we don't have a lot of diversity. Both schools are private Catholic. Most black kids go to Bosse, Harrison, and North. There's a good amount at Central too. Oddly enough, despite stereotypes, Bosse and Harrison are typically the worst teams in the conference, and North is usually right there too. While I was in high school, we were with Reitz as the two dominant teams in southern IN.

It'll be interesting to see if that changes now with the recent introduction of vouchers for poorer children to go to private school in Indiana. My step father is School Board President at the school that i went to K-8, and he said that quite a few more black students are attending some of the Catholic feeder schools now, and the number will probably just keep growing.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I also think this thread would be remiss if CardinalVol didn't describe their HEY COACH WE HAVE THE WRONG BALL play in middle school, that resulted in possibly the only first down they managed that game against us.

15. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

You have to be a good dude CV.

16. CardinalVol

When you turn 21, meet me at Turoni's one Friday night.

17. CardinalVol

It's not nearly as good as our coach telling us he watched game film and didn't think you guys were any good and that your RB wasn't as great on film as hyped*.

And yes, this was the 52-0 game.

* - Please note said player won Mr Football four years later and if he wasn't dumb as a rock would have probably played in the NFL.

18. CardinalVol

So I'm still waiting for 53 to explain to me why the wing-T is so good.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

(1) The strong running game lets you control the ball - and keep the other team's offense off the field. And while it can't be proved, many coaches suspect that being a running team makes your players tougher on both sides of the ball

(2) Offensive linemen love it. They get to dish out the punishment. They block with good angles, and they get to deliver hits out in the open, where people can actually see them

(3) You've always got a game plan. The blocking rules have been tested over time; they'll work against anything your opponents can throw at you

(4) It allows you to call plays with a purpose. No more grab-bagging.

(5) Defenses can't go all-out. This offense feeds on defensive over-eagerness

(6) You get more quality practice reps. The relatively small core of basic running plays enables you to concentrate on practicing the things you'll actually run in the game

(7) It is not quarterback-intensive - not to anywhere near the extent that most other offenses are. Naturally, the better your quarterback, the more effective you'll be; but if number one goes down at Wednesday's practice, you still have a chance on Friday night

(8) Weather isn't a problem - at least not as much for you as for your opponents

(9) Even fair backs can look good; good backs can look great

(10) Defenders face conflicting reads

(11) It is team-oriented. Lots of people get to touch the ball. Every man feels important

(12) It's very difficult to prepare for. Opponents' scout offenses can't give a real look

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I will give 53 the fact that it can be confusing and causes many defensive adjustments. However, I have found a very credible defense that gives the wing t absolute fits trying to block it. Got it from a GA HS coach at an Auburn clinic around 2000. It really screws with the guards and always leaves unaccounted defenders. The defense still has to make the play as in any defense, but it helped me tremendously. I still hate the wing t. We ran it a couple of years my last few coaching years. I was ready to take down the goal posts and put up goalie nets. It is a ball control offense. If you get down though, it can be very difficult to come back. I can see why smaller teams with less explosive athletes run it. It's a good but hated equalizer, imo.