POLITICS Fun Tax Data!

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by CardinalVol, Oct 15, 2018.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

"Well then, let me interest you in illicit drug sales, sir!"

2. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

May not be what Beecher was referring to regarding the use of the word "hold"; I don't think most "hold" the money. The money is placed in financial institutions where folks take out loans to start their businesses, get money to send their kids to college, purchase homes, purchase cars, etc. it is the foundation of our economic engine.

3. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Amen

4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

This, a million times over.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Still taxable.

6. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

"Freedom ain't free" so to speak.

justingroves likes this.
  7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Uh oh

8. CardinalVol

Drug sales = taxable

Costs of selling drugs = nondeductible

It's a big thing in states that have legalized weed. And IRS isn't backing down.

justingroves likes this.
  9. Beechervol

That hits on it. Im not sure how he meant it or if he even gave it any thought in choosing that, but Ive seen others lend to that idea that "hold" = your holding back others because the government doesn't tax you at a fair rate. Almost (and in extreme cases) you shouldn't hold that or that much. As I said, Im not sure thats what he meant but I have had conversations on the topic before that lent to that idea.

10. cpninja

cpninja Member

To me, "Hold" is like possess, control, etc. Not trying to imply anything aside from what I originally posted, which is that on its face a group possessing/owning/controlling such an outsized portion of the wealth in a country also paying a large percentage of income taxes didn't seem egregious. Perhaps it is. Idk.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

But the taxation system doesn't necessarily target those people, as it's all based on income, not how much you have. If those guys are idle, they aren't feeding into those taxation percentages posted earlier. Meanwhile, the guy trying to amass some wealth is getting crushed.

So I don't really like that kind of number being used to justify taxes, as a lot of that wealth was probably accumulated when taxes were lower and it was easier to do so. Raising the taxes isn't necessarily doing much to address who hold the wealth, and it might actually be reinforcing it.

Beechervol and justingroves like this.
  12. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

If your top 1%ers income is coming from W-2 then they are getting crushed by taxes.

Beechervol and justingroves like this.
  13. CardinalVol

If a high wealth person is paying more than 28%, they're doing something wrong, and I'd argue if they are paying close to that they're doing something wrong.

14. Beechervol

That was the reason why I worded the last response the way I did. Not everyone defines it that way.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

dunno, i got multiple execs at that bracket. hell combined with california they are over 40%. if you aren't an owner what do you do?

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

even the cost of production?

17. CardinalVol

Cost of production is deductible, nothing administrative

droski likes this.
  18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

interesting. if that holds all these pot stocks trading at 5000X multiples are going to tank.

19. CardinalVol

Plus most banks won't do business with you if you own a store either.

droski likes this.
  20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

well i figure the tobacco companies can run anyone out of business if it really becomes popular and legal