George Floyd: Derek Chauvin Trial

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VolDad, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I mean, they didn’t pin him down the way that they did because he used a fake $20 bill. They tried to put him in the back of the vehicle.

2. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Which they also should not have done for a simple misdemeanor that could have been handled with a ticket.

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Last night shooting 10 miles away from where GF took place. Officer shouted Taser, Taser, Taser to announce she was getting ready shock the young man. Unfortunately she had her gun in her hand and shot him in the torso.

The video is tough to watch.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Good grief.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The Sunday shooting really does appear just just be an awful accident. Whether said accident should ever happen is one thing, but there doesn't appear to be any ulterior motives from what I've seen so far.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree, it looks like an accident. But you can't help but wonder about the way they initially handled him out of the vehicle (they had multiple officers, why did one not move to stand between him and and the driver seat when he was out? Why didn't they talk to him from behind the vehicle, rather than by the driver side door?) and the situation in the first place (pulled him over for expired tags-- due to the pandemic, expired tags are currently waived, so there were no "expired tags"). Also, what level of force is really necessary on an unarmed person with no violence shown? Let him go, you know who he is, you see the car plates. You can get him any time later unless he's willing to give up his entire life.

I am probably wrong on some of the above, but I doubt I am wrong on all of it. That whole situation/chain of events was [uck fay]ed up, beyond just the accident itself, that made the accident possible.

SetVol13 likes this.
  7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Also; the stopped him for an expired tag. I the press conference yesterday it was reported they are not issuing new tags because of covid.

Like the soldier in Virginia over the weekend stopped because his new SUV did not have a Tag; even though a temp was taped to the back window. The officer gets out with a gun screaming "You are going to ride the lightning; Boy!"

Being pulled over for stupid shit seems to be common.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

A guy in a uniform in Virginia, it doesn't take Sherlocke Holmes or Bruce Wayne to deduce why he might not have a proper tag. No reason to escalate things like that.

justingroves likes this.
  9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I heard on the news that incident was a actually a few months or weeks ago. It just gained notoriety over the weekend when the video went viral.

I think the officer was fired this weekend too, after it went viral.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Correct. The governor only recently caught wind of this too, which seems to be part of why things have shifted this week: https://myfox8.com/news/virginia-go...cers-threaten-lieutenant-during-traffic-stop/

It is the lawsuit that has brought this forward.

11. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

An annoying part of this government fraternity is that these officers seem to only fired after we see video.

12. CardinalVol

Charged with 2nd degree manslaughter.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

609.205 MANSLAUGHTER IN THE SECOND DEGREE.
    A person who causes the death of another by any of the following means is guilty of manslaughter in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than ten years or to payment of a fine of not more than $20,000, or both:

(1) by the person's culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another; or

(2) by shooting another with a firearm or other dangerous weapon as a result of negligently believing the other to be a deer or other animal; or

(3) by setting a spring gun, pit fall, deadfall, snare, or other like dangerous weapon or device; or

(4) by negligently or intentionally permitting any animal, known by the person to have vicious propensities or to have caused great or substantial bodily harm in the past, to run uncontrolled off the owner's premises, or negligently failing to keep it properly confined; or

(5) by committing or attempting to commit a violation of section 609.378 (neglect or endangerment of a child), and murder in the first, second, or third degree is not committed thereby.

If proven by a preponderance of the evidence, it shall be an affirmative defense to criminal liability under clause (4) that the victim provoked the animal to cause the victim's death.

14. CardinalVol

Hard to argue subsection (1) doesn't apply here. I don't think she should get anywhere near the max, but she better get something.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, maybe even take a plea deal.

16. CardinalVol

I had the same thought.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I doubt this gets anywhere near a courtroom.

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Her dumbass should be free the same day Daunte Wright gets to not be dead.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

100%

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator