George Floyd: Derek Chauvin Trial

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VolDad, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Which doctor?

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I can't get this video to play. Is it no longer available?

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm may be a moron, but I don't think these 2 sentences, together, make any sense, especially the second one.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Let me rephrase it for you then: there is no doubt the officers actions did not help. As such, reasonable doubt is zero, and that is all that is needed.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't have to have reasonable doubt that a knee to the neck for 9 minutes is potentially lethal to have reasonable doubt about whether a knee to the neck for 9 minutes is responsible for killing a specific person. I can accept that an action can kill someone, in general, and still have reasonable doubt that it did kill someone, specifically.

I'd say Chauvin is definitely guilty of something, whether it's one of the current charges or something else. The manslaughter charge seems most likely, out of those available.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Which charge are we talking about here?

7. fl0at_

He's government. I hold government to higher standards because of the power we give them; the ability to come into our homes at night, and stop us in our vehicles, and tell us to get out, to point weapons at us, and to just generally carry weapons. All the time.

There is only once charge for an unhelpful death when one has such power.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm talking about the trial and the current charges being levied against Derek Chauvin.

9. fl0at_

Whatever the highest charge is.

10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

It plays when I click on it. Go to 104:00 (the first 40minutes are just a placeholder)

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I couldn't get it to play here, but I pulled it up on a separate tab and got it to work.

The commentary I had heard/read was from the day or two prior to this testimony. The testimony from Dr. Tobin is stronger than the days prior.

I don't have time to watch the whole thing, but you mentioned that "the expert said that is not possible and explained why" with regards to my comments about the amount and type of drugs in GF's system having the ability to cause asphyxia. Lyls has also said this is wrong.

The video I posted above is from a previous witness, also a doctor, who states that fentanyl and meth can cause asphyxia. So I'm not sure how you can both claim that's "wrong." As such, I'm assuming when you say the expert said that is not possible and explained why, you are talking about Dr. Tobin's remarks in reference to GF, specifically, right? If so, I'll take your word for it.

We will see what the defense offers up. I still think the drug piece of this will play a part, as I'm sure we will hear testimony, at some point, that suggests that the type and amount of drugs in his system could have contributed to the asphyxia. Again, the fact that no one is compelling testimony from the dude he was in the car with seems odd to me.

There has also already been quite a bit of pushback about the use of force. I just don't see 2nd-degree murder happening. I don't think they are going to be able to prove Chauvin caused GF's death while assaulting him. The third-degree murder charge is a little out there, which has me thinking they land at manslaughter.

12. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Thank God you aren’t on the jury, Indy. I just don’t see how you can watch the entirety of that video and not come to the conclusion that GF was flat-out murdered. I’m honestly surprised Floyd’s neck wasn’t broken... Chauvin comes across as a complete caricature of everything wrong with LEO, and I’m a guy who is strongly, STRONGLY pro-police. I know and am close with many cops, deputies, marshals (US Marshals, not the ones who bust you for not having a fishing license) and to a person, they are all of the opinion that Chauvin murdered GF and needs to go to prison.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is important to keep in mind Murder 1 isn't even on the table. His strongest charge is second degree felony unintentional murder. Seems like a slam dunk, but what do I know.

14. Savage Orange

I agree. If DC is only convicted of manslaughter, gets a five year suspended sentence and basically walks... I will not say a word against anyone who riots over that because that would in NO way be justice. Murder 2 and a max sentence would be proper, but if I were a true gambling man, I wouldn’t take that bet for anything. The only reason Murder 1 is off the table is because they’d never prove premeditation or malice aforethought... both of which I believe to be true, however. After watching the video in its entirety I just believe DC intentionally killed GF just because he felt like he could do it with no repurcussions because of his position as a cop.

IP likes this.
  15. Savage Orange

As an aside... I can never hear or read the phrase “Murder 1” without thinking of the late, GREAT Lemmy Kilmister...

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Totally agree. You couldn't prove Murder 1, so they didn't charge it. But that doesn't mean it wasn't actually murder 1.

17. Savage Orange

18. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

If not for those police officers, GF would have been sitting in his recliner at home that evening. With high blood pressure, a little enlarged heart, and perhaps high on something (like tens of thousand of other folks). But he would have been alive.

Savage Orange likes this.
  19. Savage Orange

And all over a fake $20 bill... I feel awful for that kid at Cup foods... imagine having to bear the weight of that from now on.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

It was heartbreaking to hear him say he struggles with it.

And let's keep in mind, Floyd probably didn't know he had a bad bill either.